Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower

Posted by panchoandlefty (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 9:33

Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower remodel. Our contractor did not offer many options. I think most clients just take whatever he offers without question.

For better or worse, I'm a compulsive researcher. As I look into generators, I see several manufacturers with interesting features. Amerec seems OK, but not on top of my list.

Is there a real industry leader (or lagger) among steam generators? Does one manufacturer stand out?

I am leaning toward Thermasol, but I don't know if they are the best fit or if they just have the best marketing. They appear to have the easiest install, low-maintenance features, and a lifetime warranty.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower

From the research I've done, I think Thermasol is the best.

o

I went with the Thermasol pro-series and found that it was pretty easy to install without making major changes to the hard plumbing. They have a good reputation as they created the original steam generator in the 50s.

The lifetime warranty was a big selling point for me also, especially since I do all of my own installation work, but I haven't had any problems at all in the last two years.

o

We had the same dilemma when choosing the steamer. I always thought steam is steam but there is a difference when experiencing steam. We went to couple of places and one place had Mr. Steam and ThermaSol installed in the same shower. Once you see the construction or both you will go with Thermasol. Also they have the feature on the RED generator that makes the difference when using it. You do not get the burst of steam which is nice and relaxing to have.

o

For what it's worth, I, too, am a compulsive researcher. In many ways the internet is as much a curse as a blessing. But eventually, we came to the same conclusion as others: ThermaSol and the Pro version. We've now had our steam shower up and running for about a month. too soon to tell about much, but so far it works well. The installation was probably the easiest part of the bathroom reno.

BTW, love your use name! One of my favorite Willie Nelson songs.

o

I am glad you are doing your homework on picking a steam unit. I have been a steam unit installer for the past 37 years. I have installed all major brands of steam units. I would like to address items out side of the marketing lit you have seen. please note: I have no ties to just one brand or company I work on them all and sell many kinds every day.
My Rating of the 3 unit listed would be
#1 Mr. Steam.
Why. Top of the line out of all brands out there I see the least amount of problems.
Mr. Steam has a great autoflush feature that drains the unit after each use, ( not flooding the tank like Thermasol)Installation is easy ( all three wire and plumb basicly the same way )Mr. Steam's warranty is unbeatable with its limited life time warranty. inshower controls, stainsteel case and tank, mircoproccer circut board and an industrail hi voltage contactor ( amerec do not have contactor )
#2 Amerec
cons
painted case not stainless steel
small tank
screw in elements
no contactor mirco relays on circut board
good warranty
this unit ok
#3 Thermasol
no comment ( My company will not sell )
to many con's to list
If you would like more info please post a follow up for me to answer

o

The club I am a member of has a steam shower with a Mr. Steam unit and controller. In my experience the thing seems to be broken more often than not. It has crapped out 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months. I don't have experience with the others though.

o

saunadr - what is your company?

o

Having terrible noise problem in the shower with my Thermasol steam unit. Check everything brand new can't figure out why we are getting extreme loud noise.

Wondering if saunadr can help or anyone else

o

I have one to add to this, I'm wondering what to get, a Di Vapor steam shower or a Jacuzzi one?

What do you think?

o

We're in the country on well water. When we first built our house we went to the best water softener company in Albuquerque, Sodeco, which is recommended by all the custom home builders around here. They installed their own proprietary water softener and we've had zero problems with the unit in 3 years.

So when we got ready to add the master suite and wanted a steam shower we went back to Sodeco. The owner only sells Amerec, so that's what we bought. HIs pricing was about as good as online and we wanted to buy local for warranty or other issues.

We're in the final stages of completing the shower, so I can't comment on the steam yet. But I trust the guy at Sodeco and suggest taking a close look at Amerec.

This post was edited by dianne47 on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 13:29

o

saunadr -

please list the cons of the Thermasol units if you don't mind.

Otherwise it just makes you less credible because of the fact that you don't sell them. Also, thermasol units have features and warranty that easily best Amerec's negatives yet you rate Amerec higher ??? Makes zero sense.

Either you have an ax to grind or are simply being a disingenuous sales weasel. Why not be a good doc and give the pros AND cons of all the units and let the patient decide what's best for himself instead of trying to "sell" us on what butters your bread the thickest?

o

does anyone have any updated info on mr steam v thermasol steam units??

o

i havent updated mine yocheved :)

www.esteamshower.com

o

I'm researching steam showers right now and based on the recs in this post I was leaning towards ThermaSol so I went to the website and letter starting out with this language popped up "ThermaSol warranties are NOT VALID for products PURCHASED on the Internet or through other means of electronic commerce.* etc." Has anyone run into issues with their warranties being denied? I much prefer to buy items on the internet but this is scaring me off of ThermaSol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermasol

o

That is one of the things that put me off ThermaSol, given that they have only ONE dealer in the entire New Orleans area, who had nothing else that we were interested in; that and the fact that they seem unnecessarily expensive compared to what seem to be perfectly acceptable alternatives. Ended up going with Mr. Steam (and did end up getting it locally), but don't have it installed yet.

o

Lots of manufacturers do this in order to maintain control of their distribution and quality levels of the end product.

Warranties are contracts, not implied statements about a product's quality, value, or performance.

It's a signal to the consumer about the company's intent to deliver a quality product or service. Practically every car has a 100,000 mile transmission warranty. What would you surmise about a transmission warranty that good for as long as you owned the car ???

Part of wording the contract negating a warranty if you buy from and unauthorized dealer does a couple of things. It helps to insure that dealers can make a profit, and can provide the time and service of educating you about which product best suits your needs.

If all you want is the lowest price on a widget - then you are not looking for the best product - you are looking for the cheapest product which may or may not serve your needs over the long haul. There is always someone out there willing to build it for less. They will have your money and will be no where to be found when you need a left handed metric leap year dohickey to repair the thing. Or your tradesman installs it backwards, or upside down. Or, care that you complain on GW or Yelp or Amazon about how it doesn't heat very well.

o

xedos,

I'm not sure if your comments were directed at me or not, but I feel the need to respond.

I think Mr. Steam is hardly "the cheapest product." In fact, in all of my research, it seems that Mr. Steam runs a close second to Thermasol, if not its equal.

While I can certainly appreciate a company wanting to control its quality and distribution, it's a bit aggravating when they are so exclusive that only one, not very helpful in any other way, supplier in a quite large metropolitan area carries its product.

Yes, you pay for what you get, but you can also very easily overpay just for a name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here