Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I get a drop-in or under-mount sink

Posted by robinle (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 9:25

I am trying to decide between a drop-in sink or an under-mount sink. It is for the guest bath in a house that will be a rental. The vanity is a furniture style vanity 30" and the counter is quartz. I was thinking for this bathroom we would use a drop-in sink. Can you give me some input on this idea, the good and the bad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I get a drop-in or under-mount sink

If you go for quartz for the counter, definitely undermount. Why would you do a drop in? Curious as to how you decided on that. Are there more considerations you haven't mentioned?

o

Definitely undermount. Drop-in just seems dated unless it's more like a vessel sink.

o

I was thinking about getting the Kohler Tresham drop in sink. It has a raised rim so I was thinking less water would get on the counter. I also liked that it already has the faucet holes in it so we wouldn't have to have the holes cut out.
The bathtub and toilet are Kohler almond color so the sink would also be almond color. I like the look of the under-mount better and can get an almond in it. Thank you for your thoughts on this.

o

Unless you're also planning to use this as your own home in the near future, I just wouldn't bother. Use a simple undermount, then no worries about a tenant banging into it with something and breaking it.

Water on quartz shouldn't be a concern, I wouldn't think, as long as you have some kind of splash where the counter meets the walls.

o

With a drop in, the caulk around the outside gets gross after a while. Definitely under mount.

o

The only way I'd advocate a drop-in over an undermount is if it was a DIY installation. A drop-in will cover the raw cut edges of the countertop hole, whereas with an undermount you'd need a cleaner hole and the raw cut edge would have to be polished to some degree.

o

My wife wanted a specific drop in for the master bath vanity. I chose an undermount (for all the usual reasons) for my master 1/2 bath.

Not sure what I would do for a rental. I guess it depends on the rental. More $ for undermount, but I can't think of any other reason (unless you decide to marry my wife) to do a drop-in.

o

we are doing undermounts in master (granite) and possibly Kohler's Demi-Lav in powder room, model K2833.

Anyone have ideas on how to seal the demi-lav to avoid caulk that comes loose later?

o

I did an undermount in a remodel several yeare ago...I hate it. We have a faucet with two handles and there is ALWAYS water on the countertop. Also, the basin released itself last week and we've had to reattach the darn thing. Undercount looks sleek..but I want function over form!

o

I did an undermount in a remodel several yeare ago...I hate it. We have a faucet with two handles and there is ALWAYS water on the countertop. Also, the basin released itself last week and we've had to reattach the darn thing. Undercount looks sleek..but I want function over form!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here