Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellking_gw

Help needed on tile layout - with pictures

ShellKing
11 years ago

I'm using plank travertine tile for my bathroom floor. All the pieces are 6" wide, and there are three 36" pieces and two 18" pieces in each bundle.

How should we lay these out on the floor? Totally random? Or in some sort of pattern?

Here's the (wrong) tile -- it's supposed to be veined and they are switching it out. But they are the same size pieces. This is what they look like on the floor of my bedroom while I try to figure out the layout.

These are some pictures I found online, but the layout is hard to discern.

Traditional Bathroom design by Houston Interior Designer Carla Aston : Interior Designer

Comments (8)

• TileTech
    11 years ago

Lay an area out "dry" in a random fashion so that you get an "overlap" of a minimum of 1/3 and a maximum of 1/2 stagger of the tiles. You do this for (1) asthetics and (2) to avoid/minimize lippage. Often this type of tile has issues with "cupping" ....a slight bowing of the product, and you want to minimize that.

It's also critical that your floor be quite flat. Try for no deviation of more than 1/8" over ten feet, and, if not on slab, that your floor meets a maximum of L360 deflection.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Actually the deflection for stone is recommended to be L / 720. I got that info off of John Bridge's forum, using the Deflectolator. I have done a lot of planning for deflection limits with my bathroom remodel. I will be installing slate.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Actually the deflection for stone is recommended to be L / 720. I got that info off of John Bridge's forum, using the Deflectolator. I have done a lot of planning for deflection limits with my bathroom remodel. I will be installing slate.

• TileTech
    11 years ago

Good "Catch." I missed the Travertine part. Thought we were talking ceramic. You are correct, L720 us appropriate for natural stone. Their Deflectolator will give you the proper values if you plug in the essentials. Generally, you need TWO layers of plywood with a face grade of "C" or higher. I would use one 3/4 and one 3/8" sheet. Do NOT glue them together. Put them in perpendicular to the joists and stagger the two layers. Make an effort to NOT drive the screws of the second layer into the joists.

Once this is done, you'll need to install either Schluter's "Ditra" as per their installation recommendations, available from the Schluter.com site OR a layer of 1/4" Durock (or equivelant) over the plywood. If you go this route, you need to mix up any cheap thinset, use a 1/4" trowel and "Bed" this to the plywood. "Walk it down" and screw it in at once. You NOW have a proper, isolated bed upon which to tile. Use a good, modified thinset for the tiles.....

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the help.. I should have given you more info -- this isn't a DIY project A tile professional will be doing the installation. I'm just looking for design and layout ideas. Should they be random? Should they be more uniform? I haven't been able to find many examples of plank tile in pictures.

For example, this is would be one way to do it: http://freckleschick.blogspot.com/2012/03/plank-bathroom-floor-tiles.html

But my planks are coming in two sizes.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I would definitely post your question on the John Bridge forum. You will get more answers from the pros there.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention, that I prefer the random look to the uniform look in that linked picture.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Steven, Steven, Steven. I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one who makes oopses!! LOL