Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Can someone suggest a shower tile for me -pic-

deedles
11 years ago

Hoping some of you might have an idea of what a good tile for my shower surround would be. I was thinking 12" marble of some sort but this is a last minute change and I have to come up with something rather quickly.

Here are all the elements that are going in the MBR:

Pebble stone for the floor, the green will be laid in a 'mendering river' pattern. The walls will be 4 and 6 in. wide pine tongue and groove painted in BM Cloud White. The Cole and Son paper is going around the toilet alcove above 3' of the T&G. The tan-ish color is BM sand white and will be painted around the tub/shower arch and the blue is BM Wythe Blue and is going on the ceiling.

The wood square is a window inset panel that may be going over the lower half of the window with just simple sheers over the top half...that's not for sure yet.

I have an old cupbard painted a grey green for the towel closet.

You can see it's kind of an outdoor, organic feel so I'd like the tiles to reflect that and also be easy to clean..less grout=happier me.

This is the tub area (we ruined the surround trying to make it fit when it was never intended to so we're ditching it) that the tile will be in:

Hoping I can get pointed in a couple good directions...thanks!

Comments (14)

• enduring
    11 years ago

What about one of those wood like tiles for the shower area. Possibly a wood that would complement the existing wood in your plan and not try to match.

Do some drawings of sizes of tile to see what you want. Then look at type of tile in that size. I think something plain, without listello would be nice. But you could integrate your pebbles into the plan. Will you be adding a nook now that you can? You could.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not familiar with wood-like tiles? A nook is a great idea... I'll try to get that through 'committee', lol.

How does one search for wood tiles? Guess I'll type in wood tiles/...

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

I just did my shower in Nu Travertine porcelain (silver color) 12x12 tiles from Arizona tile (I used the 2x2 mosaic for the floor and an accent row). They are a creamy white color with tan and grey. They remind me of marble (but are not shiny). If you have an Arizona Tile showroom near you, I highly recommend a visit. I'll see if I can up load a picture later.

Check out the link below and as well as the mosaic picture they have...I think the colors suit your theme.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nu Travertine silver

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Deedles, even the big box stores have wood-look tile on display these days. It's very popular. Just toddle off to your local orange or blue store and they should have some.

You know, I'm sorry you've had so much trouble, but I think losing that surround is the best thing you could do. It's so cheap looking in comparison to everything else in your bath. It's going to be so much nicer without it.

Itsallaboutthefood, please do post pics--I'd love to see what it looks like installed.

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

I just reviewed my notes and realized that I actually ended up chosing Petra Latina Tiburtino Chiaro for the 12x12 tiles since they were a little more subdued in their pattern. I still used the Nu Travertine Silver for the 2x2 mosaic floor and accent row. Will upload a pic tonight.

Here is a link that might be useful: PL Tiburtino Chiaro

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It'sallaboutthefood: I really like that silver one that you posted...that's kind of what I had in mind and also wanting to bring in the browns/tans of the paper and paint color. The green pebble has quite a bit of brown in it, too. I was thinking marble tends to the grey too much. I'll check out that silver one... it looks really nice on the pic.

Thanks!

Writersblock: I think you're right. I just hate cleaning grout so much that I didn't want to do tile again. But big tiles with skinny grout might be okay.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

You might also want to look around at the eleganza tiles website. They have some nice travertine-ish tiles, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: eleganza

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Also Emser. HD carries some of their tiles, which would give you an idea of ho different the colors are from what they look like on the website:

{{gwi:1443836}}

Here is a link that might be useful: emser rossini

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

Here are pictures of my master shower...

From Bathroom
    From Bathroom
    From Bathroom

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, as luck would have it our local tile guy has a wonderful selection of, well, tile. I stopped in there and have chosen.... drum roll......

carrera 12x12 porcelain tiles by American Olean. Very lovely and work beautifully with the pebble tile, paper and the paint colors. He's coming out Saturday to measure and we'll order and hopefully there will be a functioning, beautiful shower by mid-July.

I am so much more excited by this than by the surround, which I was not at all excited by but rather resigned to by the lack of grout cleaning. But this stuff needs little grout and it's way higher on the aesthetic scale than the fiberglass surround, obviously.

Maybe it serendipity that the dumb thing didn't work out?

I even get to incorporate some pebble tile into the shelf nook that we're building in... thank you to the GW'er that suggested that idea!

Good good.

It'sall: looks like you have 12" tile, too? I like it. Thank you and everyone else for taking the time to help me get this sorted out.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>carrera 12x12 porcelain tiles by American Olean

Uh oh. Not Catarina Colosseum, I hope?

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, Hennessey Place,

why?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Oh, good. The Catarina is very popular but has recently been discontinued and people are having a terrible time trying to find enough for projects.

That's a very handsome tile. Is it glossy?

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it's shiny and smooth. I like it :)