Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pakitchen

Kid-friendly (easy to clean) tub material?

pakitchen
9 years ago

We are redoing the bathroom that gets heavy use from our two young sons. We need a new tub that will not quickly become stained or beat up from their normal bathtime activities. Does anyone have recommendations for a tub that can withstand fingerpaints, bath crayons, colored bubble bath, and an array of boat/animal/character toys? And clean up easily?

The space will fit a standard sized tub with tiled walls on 3 sides and drain/fixtures on the right. Unfortunately cast iron is probably out of our budget, unless it seems that any other type would be destroyed quickly. I would welcome any suggestions for hearty brand or materials that could hold up to our little family.

Comments (5)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>Unfortunately cast iron is probably out of our budget

Are you sure? You can usually get the Kohler Villager from big box stores for what any moderately decent acrylic tub would cost, and nothing wears like iron.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

We just installed a Kohler Villager; I think it's nice to have cast iron, it's what I grew up with. We replaced a steel tub that was corroding all around the drain.

Haven't had a chance to use the Villager yet -- still remodeling -- but it's pretty shallow. I wish we had installed it when the kids were younger (they are now 9 and 5) as it is nice to give little ones a bath. But they are going to eventually outgrow baths, and the shallow tub will be nice since it's a shower/tub combo that will mostly be used as a shower when they're older.

It has some sort of non-slip etching on the bottom. I've read that can be hard to clean, but I haven't had an opportunity to try yet.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

When needed, I use a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser on the non-slip etching in our cast iron tubs and shower pan, and it does a great job returning/keeping them clean and new looking. I don't do this every week, but find I need to do so more often in the summer after walking around barefoot a lot before showering.

We love our cast iron tubs/shower pan!

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

The other thing about a cast iron tub like the Kohler Villager is that it can be installed on a level floor and that's that. An acrylic tub needs a mud bed underneath to level and support it. Someone needs to do that mud bed and do it right or it will be an issue for the lifetime of the tub, as our neighbors discovered. The disadvantage of a cast iron tub is that on Day 1 several large someones must haul that thing in and maneuver it into the alcove - no one's favorite job. Our plumbers took care of that as part of the bid on the plumbing job which we hadn't expected. This is the Kohler Villager, $379 in white at HD.

We got the version that has a 4" ledge on the wall side (K-714 Villager) which was $554 from Amazon, no delivery charge with Prime. The packing job was horrible, BTW, but it arrived undamaged.

Both versions are a quite shallow tub, so if someone using this bathroom needs a soak up to the neck, this isn't the tub you want. For young kids, it's great.

Remember that when you buy a tub, you also need some plumbing parts which can be pricey. The tubs above need this (KOHLER K-7160-TF-CP Clearflo 1-1/2-Inch Adjustable Pop-Up Drain, Polished Chrome)

which is another $142 from Amazon. The ones they sell at HD to match the tubs they sell are $158-$258. (They don't sell the Villager with the 4" ledge.)

• crl_
    9 years ago

We put in a shallow kohler cast iron tub too. It's a good price point for a durable tub. I find cast iron easier to keep clean than anything else. I liberally sprinkle baking soda in the tub, then spray vinegar until it fizzes. Let that sit while I clean the rest of the bathroom. Then scrub with a rag and rinse thoroughly. Gets the tub nice and clean.