Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seal floor tile before installation?

Posted by JoAnneNYI (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 9:11

I have polished Hampton Carrara basketweave floor tile from the tile shop. Plan to use spectralock epoxy grout silver shadow (or perhaps a darker grey). I know the grout need not be sealed. Have never used epoxy grout before.

I have read about "pre-sealing" before installing??? Is that just diluting your sealer? I don't want to alter the polished look of the tile.

If you seal after install will it matter for the epoxy grout?

Solvent or water based sealer? What if don't seal at all?

Are there shrinkage problems with epoxy grout?

Thanks for all your advice/help! JoAnne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seal floor tile before installation?

If it's actually carrera marble and not "tile" (there IS a difference), then you might well seal the marble after installation but before grouting. Be careful NOT to allow the sealer to drip down into the grout joints.....this might prevent a good bond for the grout. Aside that, you should be "good to go."

o

Have you read up on using epoxy grouts with marble tile? Every epoxy grout I've looked at says specifically (sometimes in the finest print) to NOT use it with natural stone.

You may end up with 'picture framing' where the edges of the tile darken permanently.

o

From Laticrete's website:

Certain types of stone (e.g. Thasos White marble, White Carrara marb/e, other statuary marbles, and other absorptive stone) may draw the grout liquids into them causing a "picture framing" effect which will darken or discolor the stone. Coduct a test area to determine suitability and acceptability.

Here is a link that might be useful: LATICRETE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here