Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherof3inct

Frameless Glass Shower Question - UGH

motherof3inct
10 years ago

I few weeks ago GW was so helpful with helping me with my frameless glass shower options. I went with a local glass company as opposed to a national chain. I am getting 2 fixed panels and a centered single door that swings both ways.

The installers came yesterday and there was a mixup with the door size. The glass door needs to be re-ordered and will be here by the end of the week. They installed one of the fixed panels with screws and silicone and the other is installed but not yet screwed in. The guy said to wait for the door.

After the installers left, I examined the shower panels. The installed glass panel is totally flush against the shower wall with minimal silicone. The unfixed glass panel has a gap along the shower wall (maybe 1/4" at the widest). It is flush on the top and bottom where the panel meets the shower wall so it has been pushed in all the way. My shower wall must bow in. The gap starts maybe a foot from the curb and ends about 6" from the top. I am afraid that they will need to put in wads of silicone to seal the gap. My shower is 63" long. This is the wall farthest from the shower head. Do I need to silicone the glass panel to the wall or can I just leave it and hope it doesn't leak?

A friend of mine renovated her bathroom at the same time as me. She went with the national glass co, but paid a couple hundred dollars more. Their sales pitch was that they measure and cut glass specifically for the wall frame to prevent the problem I am facing. I know my glass was custom cut where the top is wider than the bottom, but I don't know if my local glass co could have done more to prevent this. After spending so much money on this bathroom, it upsets me that I could have had a nicer shower if i spent a few hundred more. We just renovated 2 bathrooms and this is the only bathroom decision I may regret :(

Comments (6)