Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Glass tile mosaics on bathroom floor?

remodelfla
10 years ago

I am all over the place on what tile I want for my teeny master bath remodel. I've seen pics on houzz of baths where they used glass mosaics on the bath and shower floor. The bathroom is tiny....4x8 so I thought having the same tile go straight through into the shower might help make the space look more uniform. Can anyone tell me about the reality of having a glass mosaic floor?

Comments (7)

• sofla
    10 years ago

I saw a pic on houzz that was glass penny rounds. gorgeous and glimmery. I guess w the grout it would not be slippery.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Floor tiles need to be stronger, more durable, and provide traction when wet, when compared to tiles that can go on walls. I would look at the rating of the glass you are looking at. I've linked a site that explains the durability to some extent. The strength factor is not addressed in this link. Another concern is the slipperiness factor. There is a code for that too called the C.O.E. and here is some text I too off of the Build Direct web page:

Coefficient of Friction: Wet/Dry
    The skid resistance scale is used to determine the degree of slippage on a tiled surface. While assessing different tile surfaces, wet and dry conditions along with the speed of the subject are monitored. Also, the required force to move that subject and the angle of the tiled place are considered too. The Ceramic Tile Institute identifies tile in the following three categories:

Slip Resistant: Coefficient of friction is 0.60 or greater (wet). Meets or exceeds general safety and health regulations, ADA and OSHA requirements.

Conditionally Slip Resistant: Coefficient of friction is 0.50 to 0.59 (wet). Meets or exceed general safety and health regulations and OSHA requirements.

Questionable: Coefficient of friction less than 0.50

One important fact is that the more textured a tile is, the less slippery it is. And that's why, polished or highly polished tiles are not recommended for high traffic areas or for residential sites with children and the elderly. Also, as a rule the greater the anti-slip finish on the tile, the harder it is to keep clean.

I doubt if glass can meet the strength, C.O.E. and durability factors. But I am only assuming.

Here is a link that might be useful: floorelf's durability explaination

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the valuable info enduring. I've been looking at the PEI ratings but not so much the other so that's helpful. I need to find more info on specific glass tiles I guess

• emily_mb
    10 years ago

I have the small glass mosaic on the shower floors. No problem with traction because there is enough grout. I small square looks a little cracked because the shower head fell on it. The crack doesn't run all the way to the top surface. Other times the shower head has fallen and it hasn't cracked a tile.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hey Remodelfla, aren't your in FL? A thread that I just found on the JB forum contains info from a poster Ceramictec who is from FL. He has a link to some glass tiles. One that he shows is a glass fused to a porcelain base I think. I can't link the John bridge site because GW blocks it. But the title of the thread is "Thassos Glass Floor Tile Installation"

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just read through the threads on John bridge. Interesting read. I'm talking about glass mosaic tile though...not a larger format tile

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone else or anyone have some real life pics?

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022