Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark Fixtures in White/Girls Bath?

Posted by bowyer123 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 8:14

We are building right now and are focusing on 2 of our girls' bathrooms. We really want a retro, white and black look for the bathrooms. We are thinking of white marble vanity tops with white subway shower tile and white tiled floors with perhaps some black trim or accents in the tiles.

The problem is the doors and hinges throughout the house will be either black or oil-rubbed bronze. It seems like a lot of the baths with this look use chrome fixtures. We aren't sure if the dark fixtures in 'girlie' bathrooms will look right or not. Does anyone have a bath like what I am describing or thoughts on what we are trying to do?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark Fixtures in White/Girls Bath?

That should read "Door handles and hinges"....

o

Dark fixtures? What do you mean when you say 'fixtures'?

Most people here mean sinks, toilets, tubs, etc., and for those, I would absolutely NOT go dark! Dark fixtures will show water spots, toothpaste, and all sorts of piddly gook you wouldn't notice so much on white fixtures.

If you mean the metal parts - faucets -- Then again, I'd suggest that chrome would be much easier to take care of, perfectly in tune with the look you describe, and save you a boatload of money. Black or ORB metal parts also (IMO) run the risk of looking dated in a few years. Think of antique brass...

If you mean hinges and door handles -- then no problem. Go dark or ORB if it makes you feel more comfortable about matching the rest of the house.

o

I'm sorry, I did indeed mean the faucets, not the fixtures.

I'm starting to think the chrome will look ok even with the dark hinges and door handles. Lots of choices to make!

o

You can absolutely go with chrome faucets/cabinet hardware even if your door handles/hinges are dark. The chrome will look nice with the white vanity and marble top. I am currently doing my girls' bathroom with white subway tile and a white vanity with a carrara marble top. We decided to use walnut colored wood plank tiles on the floor to warm it up a little bit and it is going to be so pretty. Tub/shower surround and floor is in, but vanity top not yet. As soon as it's in, I'll post photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here