Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealing new tile and .....

Posted by mjsparky363 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 8:02

I just finished a tub surround with honed marble 2"x4" and a 4" wide mosaic band. I plan to use 511 impregnator sealer. This is my first time using a sealer so what should I do to protect the tub or is it not necessary to cover the tub? Does it pay to buy the foam applicator or do the towels work just as well? Thnaks for any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealing new tile and .....

What type of marble?
Test to see how porous it is.
You will be fine with 511.
I use paper towels ,pour a small amount of product on the surface and spread it out over an area you can reach.
Let it load into the stone for 10 minutes and wipe all the residue from the surface.this is the crux.do not let any sealer dry on the surface.period
The surface area you just did should be completely dry of sealer(it lives below the surface) then just move on to next section and repeat the process.
Wait 24 hours and water test. If it still absorbs do another application.
Yes cover the tub and floor.

o
RE: sealing new tile and .....

Thank you for the follow up srosen. The tile is not very porous because I had left some cuts in the water tray of the wet saw and when I cleaned them out they were no heavier than the dry ones. Thanks for sure about not letting it dry on the surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here