Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsaj_gw

Wall Color Help Please

dsaj
11 years ago

Our painter is coming today to paint our bathroom after a remodel. All the walls in our home are the color you see in the photo. Should we keep this color in our bathroom or add a little brown to the current paint color to make it more mustard, or paint it a different color altogether in the tan family? Notice that our floors have a lot of gold in them as well. Thank you for any advice!

Comments (5)

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

I think that a paint color with a little less green undertones would compliment your tile. I find myself using the colors on Sherwin Williams' Kilim Beige strip often because they are very neutral and seem to work well with almost everything.

We used colors off this strip for our masterbath. I believe that our wall color was 150% Kilim Beige. Our tiles are a little darker than yours but this may help you visualize...

(Sorry for the picture of the toilet but it's the best one to show the tile and wall color together!)

What color vanity and counter do you have? That will factor in as well.

You may want to cross-post this in the Home Decorating forum where there are many helpful and knowledgable people who are great with color decisions.

• ShellKing
    11 years ago

I second the vote for that SW color strip. We just panted our bathroom Kilm Beige and our adjoining bedroom in Latte. The Kilm Beige color is very neutral -- it doesn't tip towards yellow or pink or green -- but also stands out from the white trim.

• dsaj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm attaching a photo that shows what our stone tops look like for the tub surround and counters. They are Mexican Noce Veined Travertine with light and dark shades of brown. The cabinets are an orange-brown color. I'm wondering if we should re-stain the cabinets??? Treasuretheday - I love the look of your wall color! Do you think the Kilm beige would work with the stone and cabinets as well?

• ShellKing
    11 years ago

You should go to SW, or another paint store, and pick up a few swatches. Take them home and hold them up to your counters and cabinets. Fold them if necessary so your eye can only see the colors you're considering. Try it in sunlight, shade and with lighting. If you think you like a color, you can purchase a $6 sample from Sherwin Williams. Use a simple foam brush and paint the color on a quarter piece of foam board (WalMart has them, as would an office supply store). Then you can hold it up and see how it looks next to everything on a larger scale.

I think the Kilm Beige is so neutral that it would work with the counters and pick up that light color in the travertine. It's hard to tell about the cabinets. You want to try them next to each other. Colors are affected by their surroundings -- you don't want the color of your cabinets to make the paint look too yellow or too pink. The only way to tell is to play with it.

• dsaj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's exactly what I'll do. Thank you!