Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendog2_gw

Help Fixing Kerdi Mistake in Niches

kendog2
11 years ago

We're doing our first Kerdi shower. My husband cut the Kerdi around the Niches instead of wrapping the material to the inside. On the lower and side edges, the Kerdi is not adhered properly.

Can anyone advise as to the best way to fix this? Should we remove the entire strip and start over or just make pieces to fit the niches? I'm guessing that the latter is probably best but we're not sure how to go about it.

We're thinking of removing the loose edges including the small strip of Kerdi that divides the niches. Then cut a large piece and lay it over all of the niches to the top edge of the wall, cut slits and wrap the Kerdi to the insides. Does this sound like a good plan?

There is an approximately one-inch air bubble along the top edge of the wall the wall where the shower head will be. Should we buy some Kerdi-fix and inject it into the bubble or just ignore it?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (22)

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

As for the niche, you're saying he basically cut the square hole where the niche is? If that's the case, that's what I normally do, and then use Kerdiband to make the corner, being that it's a bit thinner, and easier to wrap the corner. In fact, that's where I am on a steam shower I'm doing right now, and tomorrow, I'll be kerdi-ing the niche. I'll take pics just in case this is what you're looking at.

As for the bubble, cut a slit, squirt a little kerdi-fix in, and then squeeze it back out, making sure it's nice and flat when you're done, and the kerdifix completely closes off the slit

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

I'll add that if you have floppy edges that you're going to cover, it'll probably be easier to cut the loose edge away and then cover that part with another piece of Kerdi rather than to try to remove the entire piece that has the loose edge.

Once the thinset has cured, trying to remove Kerdi usually results in delaminating the fleece off the poly core (leaving a mess) versus the entire thickness neatly peeling off the wall (leaving bare cement board).

I do have some niche photos in a few spots in the Kerdi thread I did years ago. It shows using the preformed corners. Later when doing the floors there is a bit on using the cut and fold method for sealing a corner. The photos may or may not help.

Bill's will probably be in line with what you are trying to accomplish since your techniques seem similar.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

I almost forgot about this thread!! I DID take pics yesterday as I was putting the niche together, but I've got an appointment to go meet a homeowner right now, so I'll post them when I get back.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Okay. My underestanding is this is where you are?

First, take kerdi band and wrap the four edges:

Then take 4 outside corners (yes, OUTSIDE-- just use them "backwards") and install them like so:

Now do the same thing in the back of the niche-- first wrapping the four sides with the Kerdi band, and then using four INSIDE corners:

Last step-- cut pieces from the sheet Kerdi to fully cover each side and the back, install them, and you're done:

• kendog2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill and Mongo,
    Thank you both so much for your very helpful advice. Bill, it was very kind of you to take the photos and post them. I really appreciate that you took the time. I understand perfectly how to do this now and I'm sure it will help others as well. I will get some of the Kerdi band and the corners. Glad I asked about this before we tried to rip off the hardened Kerdi.

We ordered a couple of pieces of Rondec pvc trim to use where our tile ends and the wall continues. We'll probably also use Rondec on the curb edges. We have a contractor friend who can miter the remaining outside corners of niches, window, bench, etc. I haven't seen the Rondec profile except in pictures. Do you pros prefer the look of the Schluter trim or the mitered tile edges? (Debating whether to order more of the Rondec and finish all of the tile edges with this stuff.)

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Mitered edges, although when done right theyb look better, also tend to chip more, because the tile's edge is so weakened because of being so thin, so my choice would be the Rondec.

• TileTech
    11 years ago

You may not need to buy the corners if you bought the Kerdi drain. Look in your box....they generally come included.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Yeah, but there's usually not enough for where the walls meet the shower pan AND the niche.

• kendog2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Bill and TileTech. Yes, we have four inside corners. I just checked the prices at tile-experts.com. Very expensive. We might have to find another way to do this. Do you know where I can find a tutorial on how to make our own corners out of Kerdi-band?

• TileTech
    11 years ago

Very true, Bill.....and I thought of that.

Not a big problem to fabricate your own from Kerdi or Kerdi-Band.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Steve-- wanna get into the "cones" thing? LOL

kendog-- private joke. Sorry. :-)

• kendog2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill, I think I might know what you're referring to. The pinhole that remains when you make your own corners? I've been trying to read up on this stuff.

I'm ready to put the Kerdi on the shower floor but it's been so long since we started this project that I've misplaced the template for cutting the hole for the drain. In photos I've seen, it looks like the hole is supposed to be cut at the indentation in the drain and not all the way up to the drain hole. If so, the hole in the Kerdi should be six inches across? I'm afraid I'll mess this up is I assume anything.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Bill, I think I might know what you're referring to. The pinhole that remains when you make your own corners? I've been trying to read up on this stuff.

I take it you've heard of Mr. Whipple. :-) Seriously-- that's easily solved with a little Kerdi-fix.

As for the hole, that's a simple one. Don't cut it. Seriously. just make sure where the halo of the drain dips in toward the center, you don't get any thinset past the edge. Once dry, go in and cut out the "lite" part.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

The pinhole drama. He was actually pushing a pin through the membrane to make a real pinhole. And then wondering why water would drip through his "pinhole". (sigh)

kendog, the drain template is 6-5/8" in diameter.

• kendog2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Bill and Mongo. Bill, I like your idea of cutting the hole later. Seems like an efficient way to save a step.

• TileTech
    11 years ago

Bill~Yeah, if you shove a pin thru it, it'll leak. If you cut a slit inna piece of Kerdi-Band and fold it into a funnel, it doesn't.

Told Mr. Whipple I'd do a video and post it for him when I have the time...(IF I have the time...LOL)

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

"...I'd do a video and post it for him when I have the time...(IF I have the time...LOL)"

I did that for him a couple of years ago. Even sent him a series of stills on how to fold the membrane into a funnel. It was only after several emails and dissecting his "mythbusters" video that I finally figured out he was actually doing the "pinhole vortex test" by actually using a pin to make a real pinhole instead of folding the membrane over on itself with that "pinhole from the fold" being the "pinhole vortex" pinhole.

Argh.

He then went on a bit of a tirade against me for a while.

I liked his enthusiasm, but we most certainly had difficulties when communicating. It always seemed to come down to the fact that if he couldn't replicate my methods, he'd accuse me of fabricating my methods.

I wish him the best.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Against YOU?? He talked to a lawyer about suing me, basically because I was "mean" to him. From what I'm told, he checked with this lawyer in an open legal forum, and the guy who answered him pretty much laughed at him. End of possible lawsuit.

What a maroon.

• TileTech
    11 years ago

Don't feel alone, Mongo~~ Bill and I dueled with him on another forum as he was slamming J. Bridge for the "vortex" deal. Methinks he has too much time on his hands....

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

We actually had to have the preseident of the National Tile Contractors Assn. close the thread because it got to the point where it was obvious that he was there for no other reason than to slam John and Kerdi.

• TileTech
    11 years ago

Yeah....can you say, "Agenda?" (I thought you could...LOL)

• kendog2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, there was a lot more to that story than I thought. Thank you all for continuing to offer your assistance on this forum in spite of the mistreatment.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022