Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karena_2009

Where did you find your expresso vanity?

karena_2009
13 years ago

I am looking for a furniture style 48-inch espresso colored vanity for my small, standard, 5 x 9 hallway bathroom. I live in the San Francisco bay area (south bay).

I am going for a classical bathroom. I plan to put a carrara marble top for the countertop and will most likely go with traditional chrome faucets, and a square undermount sink, possibly the Kohler Memoirs one. I like the Restoration Hardware Cartwright style of vanity, but it comes in a 36-inch and 52 1/2-inch wide and larger sizes. I would also like:

--the soft close mechanism on the drawers.

--the coordinating three mirror medicine cabinet.

--the commode storage shelf in the same material.

So far, I've looked at:

Lowes, but I would like a little better quality than some of the stock pieces, which use fiberboard and many don't have the soft close feature.

Jenson - made in San Francisco. Looks good; I'm not sure how it will hold up. Does anyone have any feedback on it?

Barton Hill Vanity - doesn't have the soft close mechanism and over the commode sorage shelf.

Ronbow - Torino; nice, but a little ornate.

Home Depot - it appears that the Pegagus Bimini isn't something I can order in zip code for now. I live in the San Francisco bay area (south bay).

I didn't realize it was going to be such a project to get a 48-inch vanity. Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• monicakm_gw
    13 years ago

Have you considered having one custom built? That's what we did.
    Monica

• heidi877
    13 years ago

I got the home depot pegasus gazette vanity and really like it.

I didn't do all the matching pieces but here is a link to mine...

Here is a link that might be useful: pegasus gazette vanity

• pps7
    13 years ago

Shiloh, a cabinet manufacturer recently started making furniture style vanites. We've chosen the 54" Shiloh vanity, with carrera marble counters, rectangle memoirs sink and chrome fixtures.

shiloh makes a 48" with soft close mechanism. It is very similar to the cartwright style. As far as matching pieces, I'm not sure what shiloh can do for you. Have you considered getting chrome pieces? That would look pretty classic.

So far we only have the vanites but I can post pictures if you are interested.

• karena_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

monicakm: I was hoping to get one ready-made. When I redid my kitchen I used Schuler cabinets, but the lead-time was long. I checked out some of the custom cabinetry shops around here, but I wasn't overly impressed and they were expensive.

appletini: how do you like your Pegagus vanity? I haven't seen them on display at our local Home Depot. I want a model with drawers because I need all the storage I can get. This serves as a guest bathroom and also a bathroom for two boys when they're at home. I only have two bathrooms in the house, so I've got to make it count.

If anyone in the bay area can recommend a good cabinet maker, please let me know, and I'll consider them.

• karena_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi pps7:

Oh, yes, please post pictures :-). Like many here, I love the pictures. Where did you buy the Shiloh vanity? Was it Lowes? What is the price point like for this type of vanity? Would it be around $800 or so? Do you know?

Thanks for your kind help.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We had a local guy make ours. He "copied" the Sonia Europa style (I think that was the style), but made the vanity taller (total height w/ sink top installed is ~36"), so the storage drawers are deeper, and the space behind the doors is taller.

• heidi877
    13 years ago

I like it, I bought it sight unseen as well...I think its online only. I've only been using it for two weeks but so far so good.

• karena_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks appletini!

• sue_b
    13 years ago

I ran into the issue that the vanity ordering took the longest out of everything in our remodel.
    Ordering the vanity online is a tough call. Getting it ordered from a cabinet company (anyone who sells kitchen cabinets) was time consuming but that's how you can get what you want. It isn't custom but it does have to be ordered.
    Going to a kitchen & bath store is the way I got my vanity that's exactly the size, color and combo that I wanted but couldn't find online. My experience was they take 6-8 weeks from your order date until then vanity cabinet arrives. In my small 24 inch size it was less expensive than many that I saw online. Here's a cabinet line you could try to find locally (by doing Contact Us at their site). Mine was Executive Kitchens. At the link to their photo gallery, at bottom of page is the Bath Gallery. There is an espresso finish photo on the far right at the bottom.
    Mine is walnut finish but they had espresso/darker.

Here is a link that might be useful: Executive kitchens bath vanity gallery

• pps7
    13 years ago

Here's the shiloh vanity. It's very similar to the RH cartwright, but I wanted more drawers. It has full extension drawers and soft close. It's very well made. I think it's going to be closer to $1200. It's not installed yet, I can post pics in a few weeks with the carrera marble, chrome fixtures and memoirs sink if you are interested.

• karena_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you ladies for posting your pictures and information. pps7: the vanity looks great. I look forward to seeing it installed with the carrera marble top.

I'm still in the process of getting bids and I'm not in a hurry, so I may end up by ordering the vanity from the kitchen cabinet places.

• njkat
    13 years ago

Sue_B I love your vanity I to need a very small width. Could you tell me the name of your vanity?

• sue_b
    13 years ago

For my vanity the photo above, Executive Kitchens doesn't name them. You order a 24 inch sink cabinet with the drawer at the bottom by picking it out from their catalog at the stores that carry their cabinetry line.

I looked at ordering the vanity online but I really wanted one slightly smaller than 24 inches wide and not as deep as 22 inches so there'd feel like more room in that 5 feet x 7 feet space. The cabinet line I used, Executive Kitchens, is sold in many kitchen and bath stores around the country. They can put a sink cabinet together for you that is 22 1/2 inches wide and 20 inches deep. I chose that after I found a sink that would work and still have some counter top edge around it. I spent about $750 on the vanity. And it's their Green Cabinetry line, sustainable wood and no-VOC stain.
    I also liked that at the cabinet store I could see all the stain and wood samples to hold next to my countertop and tile to see how well they would work together. It came in 6-8 weeks from my order date.

The salesman I worked with at the cabinet/building supply store I used was also an architect. When I told him the cabinet feet from Executive Kitchens were too expensive (I think they were about $225 for 2!) and I didn't want round feet, he ordered a long trim piece and drew out how my bathroom contractor could build the three legs that would show. His diagram is attached and that's how I got the straight feet I wanted and raised the height of the vanity higher to reduce bending over when face washing.

Strasser Woodenworks and Thomas Somerville are other cabinet companies I found on the web with a similar vanity.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sue_b
    13 years ago

It turns out my Executive Kitchens vanity pictured a few posts ago in this thread does have specific style names. My door style from Executive Kitchens is Classic Shaker, the wood is maple and the stain choice is Burgundy.
    At this link, click on the different doors for a nearly limitless selection of door styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots and lots of door styles available on Executive Kitchens for vanities

• karena_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi sue_b ,

Thanks for all of the great information. I just went to a local plumbing store and I think I may have found my vanity there. I found a cherry Ronbow vanity in a dark brown. It also has an integral sink/countertop that you can buy for it. It only takes ten days to get it because there is a local warehouse with these models in stock.

You were fortunate to have a former architect to draw up your vanity feet for you--that's great. Once again, thanks for the pictures and sharing!

• sue_b
    13 years ago

Great news karena 2009! You're welcome. Tell us the name of the store and city where you found your vanity. I was just on Ronbow's website and their store locator is a great suggestion for people looking to see bath products and furniture in person.

• karena_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The local store is

"The Powder Room"
    540 N. Santa Cruz Avenue, Suite A
    Los Gatos, CA 95030

I met the owner, who was extremely helpful. I am pretty excited by the Ronbow vanity and I'll take DH to her showroom. She also had a Toto toilet complete with a washlet in her bathroom with the Fairmont toilet topper and a Fairmont vanity.

It was great seeing the American Standard Town Square toilet in person with the soft close seat and ADH height. It has a map score of 1,000 and I'm leaning towards this toilet over a Toto.

The one vanity that really caught my attention is the Ronbow Adara vanity, which is available in a dark cherry and I'm seriously considering the Ronbow ceramic sink top (integral counter and sink). I think it will be a snap to clean. It's also available with a transitional glass door or solid doors (the solid doors are cheaper). I also liked their Asian-style vanity, but it doesn't come in a 48 inch size.

I'm having some second thoughts about the carrera marble top due to the fact that this is the most heavily used bathroom in the house. Therefore, I found the sink top to be a great option functionally and aesthetically! I really got excited about it! The link below shows it in a lighter cinnamon color instead of the dark cherry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ronbow Neo-Classical 48 inch vanity

• sue_b
    13 years ago

That is a great vanity and super that you are excited about it. Here it is in the cherry finish. Very cool doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ronbow Adara 48 inch vanity

• gardenmin
    13 years ago

cat_mom:

If you are still reading this, would you mind sharing the name of your cabinet maker? I live in Westchester county, NY and love the Sonia Europa cabinet as well, but not the price:-) Thanks!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Email me through GW if you can....

• gardenmin
    13 years ago

cat_mom: couldn't send you an email, but I did change the member settings on my gardenweb page, so you should be able to send me one. Thanks!

Saw the pics on othe other thread: both baths turned out great..

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Thanks! Will send an email later. If I forget--tap me on the shoulder so to speak. Been trying to get something up and running on the laptop so hopping from computer to computer!

• LeoClaudioCabinets
    12 years ago

Please visit our website at LeoClaudioCabinets.com
    Sophisticated design solutions and a full range of services for a variety of lifestyles. We provide you with a unique opportunity to share in the design process. Discover your creativity using our versatile compositional solutions, both custom and standard, infinite choices of material, finishes and colors to compliment the aesthetic elements of your home
    Call us for your free estimate today!
    Thank You