Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does the shelf in my niche look like a creme sandwich?

Posted by jennydecorates (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 1:47

Hi all, my tile and grout guy just left. The shelf in niche reminds me of a creme cookie sandwich. Perhaps because he sandwiched two bullnose pieces together. I have never seen this look before. Is this right?!?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does the shelf in my niche look like a creme sandwich?

Most people would have picked a piece of their granite or quartz for the shelves and for the shower curb. When you pick tile for that, you gotta have grout lines.

o

It took me a minute to see what you were talking about...I thought you meant the back tiling. So it doesn't jump out too much, if that helps! But yes, it looks just like a nice cream sandwich once you point it out. :)

o

We used a single piece of marble tile for all of our niche shelves (tops, bottoms, and sides as well). Your sandwiched bullnose tiles don't look terrible, just different from what I've seen.

I will say, that I am very impressed with the tile work surrounding and inside your niche--totally flush, lined up beautifully. Your tile guy appears to do very nice work! :)

o

I doubt I would've noticed if I hadn't been specifically looking. BTW, what is the tile inside the niche. Looks like it has a botanical motif?

o

I just had my niche tiled yesterday. I don't have a shelf in the middle, just a basic 12" x 12". Mine is edged with 1/4 round and it couldn't be matched up exactly with the surrounding field tile. But it looks fine. In reality, you'll have a head full of shampoo and just be happy to keep the soap out of your eyes.

o

We chose to use a thick piece of glass for the niche shelf to avoid the creme sandwich look.

o

You can buy stain for the grout after it is dry. I would not be overly concerned about it though.

o

I would not in a million years note that had you not pointed it out. I think it looks lovely and carefully done.

o

....it only looks like that since you pointed it out. Anyone else would be looking at what you put on the shelf. How many people are viewing your shower niche on a daily basis? Don't mess with the grout, unless you want to paint it pink.... I hope you will smile every time you walk in there and think of a cream sandwich. IT makes that shower YOURS.

I have one grout line in my shower that is larger than the others. No one in the whole world will see it and say gee, that line is wider than the others...

Relax and I hope you will enjoy your new shower, w/o getting hungry whenever you shower!

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here