Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abd1_gw

Finished Master Bath and Bedroom (Lots of Pics)

abd1
12 years ago

A few weeks ago we finished our master bath and bedroom remodel. We started with master bath that had 1 sink, a small walk-in closet, and a 3x3 shower stall with a leaking shower pan. There was no natural light anywhere in the bathroom, and since the sink, shower/toilet area and closet were all seperated with walls there was a constant mildew problem. It was a pretty disgusting, depressing little cave. We decided when we moved into the house 4 years ago not to do anything to improve the bathroom or master bath so that we'd be motivated to completely gut it and start over. This year was that time.

Our goal with our project was to open up the bathroom, create some natural light, have 2 sinks, a large shower, and somehow not lose closet space. We also really liked the idea of a white bathroom with subway tile wainscoting. However, most bathrooms we saw with subway tile used a lot of marble. Nothing wrong with marble, we think its beautiful, however we didn't want our space to feel too formal or Victorian. So we decided to try and use a stone like travertine, but it didn't look great with the bright white subway tile. We eventually settled on a matte subway tile in "designer" white, which is slightly off-white, and a tumbled travertine floor. We really wanted a bright, clean, fresh, open look and feel while keeping it warm and natural looking. My favorite part of this project isn't any individual component but rather that we achieved everything we wanted to -- we got the space and look and feel we wanted -- while actually increasing our storage space. We are blown away with the space and are really proud of it. Anyway, here are some pics:

Before:

{{gwi:1442358}}

{{gwi:1442359}}

{{gwi:1442360}}

{{gwi:1442361}}

{{gwi:1442363}}

{{gwi:1442364}}

{{gwi:1442365}}

{{gwi:1442366}}

After:

{{gwi:1442367}}

{{gwi:1442368}}

{{gwi:1442369}}

{{gwi:1442370}}

{{gwi:1442371}}

{{gwi:1442372}}

{{gwi:1442373}}

{{gwi:1442374}}

{{gwi:1442375}}

{{gwi:1442377}}

{{gwi:1442379}}

{{gwi:1442381}}

{{gwi:1442383}}

{{gwi:1442385}}

{{gwi:1442386}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics in the online gallery here

Comments (32)

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, what a great job! Congratulations, it's beautiful. I love how soft and welcoming it feels. The natural wood top and travertine really make the space feel warm. I also love the barn-style sliding door. Very nice with your other elements. I remember your dilemma about the dark mirror: that dark tray on the vanity does help tie it in with everything else.
    Love it!!

• houseful
    12 years ago

Fabulous!!!

• skeetie219
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. Few questions... what size is your shower? And sink manufacturer as well. I love the different tiles on the floor and wall

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Wow, what a transformation! Details, please.

• alku05
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! And by the way, from the before pictures you posted it looks like you survived a major remodel with a toddler and infant in tow. I thought we were the only ones crazy enough to do that!

• cookie08
    12 years ago

What sinks and faucets are those?

• abd1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. To answer some ?'s the shower is 54"x54". The sinks are from a local hardware store and are on off-brand, probably from China. They were only about $130 each. The faucets are Kohler Bol. They really were our inspiration for the style we wanted. My wife and I originally saw them about 6 years ago in a bathroom in a hotel/restaurant called the Red Inn in Provincetown, MA. Its a very beautiful old place (I think George Washington once stayed there) and when I used the bathroom I came out of the bathroom and told my wife "you have to check out the faucet in the bathroom." She loved them too, but neither of us realized they were actual production pieces from Kohler until about 6 months later we spotted them in HD one day. At that point we decided if we ever remodeled a bathroom we would use these faucets and once we started the project they were the first purchase we made. The way the water fills the bowl and then flows out is very soothing and then the light reflects off the water it very much looks like a running stream or brook. They don't have a ton of h2o pressure but we're ok with that and we love them.

A couple other details:

The rain head shower is Danze
    All other shower fixtures are Jado 818 series
    The towel bars are Danze Brandywood series
    The toilet is Porcher one-piece, forgot the name
    The vanity is custom by Dressen Designs in Hubbard, OR
    the countertop is reclaimed Myrtle wood
    The floors are heated by SunTouch (love it!)
    The skylight is electric by Velux (love that too - no more mildew!)
    The vent fan is Panasonic. You can't even tell its on.

And anyone holding off on remodeling due to young children is missing out on a fun adventure. We have an 18 month old and a 4 year old and they were really excited about the project. Everytime we'd get home they'd both immediately want to see what's changed in the bathroom/bedroom and I think, at least my 4-year old, learned quite a bit about what's going on inside the walls. We also did a kitchen remodel when he was 18 months which took much longer than this, so it can be done!

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

lovely remodel! can you tell me what your floor tile and size of tile is?

• VTfamily
    12 years ago

Really nice! How do you like the Danze rain shower head?
    Love the skylight and all the wood.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

It is just beautiful. Love all the choices you made and the finishing touches are perfect. By the way, I can't imagine having a rooms that put together and neat with two toddlers under the same roof. Maybe it's your sanctuary - it looks as if it is.

• nutherokie_gw
    12 years ago

Seriously? This is amazing! Absolutely lovely. I'd love to know what wall tile you used. Is it white white or off white?

• nini804
    12 years ago

It is so beautiful!!! And I really adore that gorgeous mirror...stunning!

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

WOW!!!! Absolutely beautiful!! You did a great job! Love that shower--are all the fixtures in the shower Danze or just the raincan shower head? I really like how you configured that space. What an improvement on the sinks & toilet too! Congratulations & enjoy your new space!!

• abd1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The floor tile is Emser Tile, travertine ancient tumbled beige in 16x16.

The wall tile is American Olean Profiles series, 3X6, designer white, matte finish. Its a muted white, maybe a little cream. It has a much softer look than polished tile.

We like the rain shower head, however I wouldn't recommend it as your only shower head because there's not a lot of h2o pressure from it. Plus, the water comes straight down, so to soap up you kind of have to step out of the water, which can get cold. However, we love standing under it to rinse, it is soothing.

• treasuretheday
    12 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! Everything about your new space looks so calm and soothing... you must love beginning and ending your busy days with the kids in your own peaceful sanctuary. Great job pulling everything together... enjoy!

• stephanie_and_tim
    12 years ago

It look very beautiful! Love it! The wood is a very nice touch.

Did you run the tile all the way behind the vanity? Or does it stop at the edge of the vanity? I'm stumped on what to do with the tile and a free standing look vanity.

• nancyaustin
    12 years ago

Just perfect! Serene, clean and beautiful. Can you post a floorplan so we can see how you changed the floorplan? Thanks.

• abd1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

stephanie and tim -- the wall is not tiled behind the vanity. The vanity site flush against the wall. The tiler cut the tile around the counter top so that there would be absolutely no gap once finished between the wall and vanity. I I were using a completely freestanding vanity I would tile all the way behind, but if your vanity will be flush against the wall I'd probably just tile around.

nancyaustin -- here are the before and after layout pics.

BEFORE
    {{gwi:1442389}}

AFTER
    {{gwi:1442392}}

• jtkaybean
    12 years ago

I'm in awe...it is so beautiful! Very inspiring since your master bed and bath looks pretty similar to mine.

We also got bi-fold doors in our closet which made a HUGE difference accessing all our clothes in there lol. I love the handles, I'll have to get something similar installed on ours.
    Job very well done!

• bethcw
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS! Congratulations on creating such a beautiful and soothing space. Enjoy!

Beth

• stephanie_and_tim
    12 years ago

Thanks abd1 for answering my questions. That's what my husband had said (about not tiling behind the vanity), so I guess he's right. Ha!

Looks great! Enjoy!

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

wow, Wow, WOW! Amazing transformation, just beautiful - great job!

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Good grief, I just saw this...amazing how designing *well* within the same footprint can have such a massive effect. The only compromise I see (and I noticed it because we have a similar situation) is that now the head of the bed can be seen from the bedroom door. But it's far from the door, and the gain in return (not having to look straight into the bathroom, increased storage space) is more than worth it.

Now you're going to have to do the rest of your house, because the rest of the rooms are aching with jealousy :)

• suero
    12 years ago

Lovely. I have one question: how do you get the squeegee to stay on the wall? That suction cup it come with keeps losing suction on my shower tile.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow, that's gorgeous! Love the shower and the sinks.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

does the barn type door slide smoothly? easily? quietly?

lovely new rooms - will give you yrs of tranquility while raising kids!

• sochi
    12 years ago

Wonderful transformation, congratulations! Thank you for the detail and the lay out pictures - I've just starting planning a similar transformation and this post is very timely and helpful.

Could you let me know where the barn door is from?

Enjoy that wonderful space.

• abd1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm glad if our project can help anyone else with theirs because I know that it can be nervewracking. Here are some answers to some more questions.

@ suero - not sure why your suction cup won't stick. Is your tile smooth or porous? Make sure its not on a grout line and that its a little wet.

@ desertsteph - the door makes a little noise but nothing too intrusive. I found a kit where the wheels are actually a type of nylon, which are supposed to be quieter than steel, but the track is steel so it does make a little noise. It rolls pretty smooth, but it can get a little stuck, but nothing too bad and not enough for us to regret it at all.

@ sochi - the barn door is just a simple single panel, shaker-style wood door. Its the same as our closet doors, but bigger. We had our contractor cut some mdf strips to make the design, then it was caulked and painted. The track hardware is from rusticahardware.com. We thank it came out great. However, I can't take 100% credit for it. I had the design in my head but I was trolling around the internet looking at others who created barn doors and I came across Catskill Farms Real Estate (linked below). They use a lot of barn doors in their homes and it was like they had created exactly what I had in my head. Up to this point I kept going back and forth on doing a barn door or not, but once I saw their homes I was determined to use this element in our project. I highly recommend checking out their site and take a look at the homes they create for inspiration. How their business started is a fascinating story and I still check out their blog just to see what they're building.

Here is a link that might be useful: Catskill Farms Real Estate

• irishcreamgirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful transformation!!

Please share the paint color of your walls in your bedroom and bathroom

Thanks.

• canyonreid
    12 years ago

Beautiful job. I find myself visiting your layout and pictures frequently to reference ideas for my own master bath remodel. Love, love, love the barn door! Can you tell me what you used for the floor plan drawings? My personal layout files were corrupted and I would like to find an quicker solution than to rebuild in the program I was using.

Thank you,
    Sandra

• mrsemmapeel
    12 years ago

Wow, I love it! It's a nice mix of modern/traditional elements. We're trying to balance rustic and modern in our log home master bath remodel, and it's very challenging! I love all the white with the warmer wood and travertine.

• abd1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The paint is Barbury Sand from Miller Paint.

I use the Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer software by Chief Architect. It's a little pricey, but I highly recommend it. Chief Architect makes professional design software. This is kind of a "light" consumer version, but its still very robust. I had pretty detailed diagrams that I was able to give to my contractor and subs and they were all impressed with them and said it really helped them understand what I wanted done. I probably brought up the plans every night and scrutinized every inch of space to make sure we maximized the room but also didn't crowd the room and left enough open space to make the room feel big. Once I measured the room the software makes it very easy to draw walls, move them, measure distances, create 3D models, etc. We actually had a couple of different layout ideas, but by creating them with the software and looking at them in the 3D modeling we picked the plan we ended up with and it came out perfectly and practically to the inch of how we drew it up.