Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrcubbage

layout critique

cubby14
11 years ago

Hi all,

We are planning a total redo of our master bathroom and while the space is pretty good there are a few inconvenient things that I would like to address with a new layout.

#1 is the size of the shower, its too small

#2 bathtub looks big, its a garden tub but it is short and shallow

#3 ultimately I would like to have separate vanities, but that is proving harder to achieve than I thought

I am posting the current layout and 3 possibilities of new layouts.

Currently the entry into the bathroom is an open arched doorway and we will be closing it in with a pocket door for sure and probably moving it over.

The things that we really don't want to change are the toilet area and the window, although a smaller window would make it easier to layout the room. Stucco exterior make it hard to do that.

Current:

Option #1

Option #2

Option #3

Any thoughts on the different options, good or bad.

Comments (10)

• regmoses
    11 years ago

I like option 1, though it seems the shower will be smaller than you'd like, and it's hard to tell what size the floor space actually is. It may seem like a bunch of empty space in the middle of a large bathroom.

That leads me to ultimately vote for option 2. Love the idea of a drying off area. You're so blessed with space! Have fun picking everything out!

BTW ... are you using a software program to design these layouts? Mind sharing how you're doing these mock-ups?

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

First, you need to get rid of the inswing door of your WC. Those are dangerous, and that you have it now, and you've been fine doesn't mean that it will be safe in the future. So, any plan that doesn't allow you to either make that a pocket door entry or a swing-out door should be discarded, imo.

with that in mind, and your desire for 2 vanities, I like option 3; except I'd move the toilet door to be a pocket door on the "top" of the WC box...across from the vanities, near the closet entry.
    Does that makes sense?

• cubby14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

regmoses: option 1 and 3 have the same size shower I just have made the closet smaller in option 3 to get separate vanities. Would use part of the storage closet as my closet. Can't use that as the whole big walk in closet though as it has a raised floor and sloped ceiling. Hubby can't stand up in most of it. The shower in options 1 and 3 is 4x5 with the drying off area and in option 2 is 4x6 no drying area.

I am using TurboCad 15 to make my drawings. I forgot it doesn't transfer the grid lines when converting to jpg.

Thanks for the reply

• cubby14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kirkhall, I had no idea that an inswing door on the WC was a bad thing. Can you explain what is dangerous about it. That being the case though, the only way I see to put a pocket door in there is to do as you suggested and that would rule out options 1 and 2. Or we could change the door to swing out.

Thanks for the reply

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

Another option would be to leave the tub where it is and extend the shower space to the left.

A simple way to split the vanity into two would be to move the door to the large storage room to the left so it's in between the vanities. I wouldn't give up closet space for separate vanities.

• rmsaustin
    11 years ago

The inswing door is a problem / dangerous because if anything happened in there - fainting, falling, etc, it would be next to impossible to aide a person in distress in there because their body would / could block the door from being opened.

• rmsaustin
    11 years ago

The inswing door is a problem / dangerous because if anything happened in there - fainting, falling, etc, it would be next to impossible to aide a person in distress in there because their body would / could block the door from being opened.

• cubby14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah yes I hadn't thought of that with the inswing door, but it is a valid issue.

Thanks everyone for all of the info. I will draw up just extending the shower to the left and moving the door to the storage closet.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

RMS is correct. Plus, with an inswing door, the hinges are on the inside, so you can't even remove the hinges/door to get to the person.

Have fun!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm with weedyacres...just extend the shower into the
    left space. I grew up with a window in the tub/shower unit and it was a nightmare from water damage to the window POV. So I wouldn't go with any design where the window is in the shower.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths