Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterproof membrane over Hardiboard needed on walls around tub?

Posted by diy77 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 1:07

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel. It's a simple small bathroom. I installed 1/4" Hardibacker on the floor, including underneath the tub. On the back wall above the tub, (which is an "outside" wall), I installed poly behind 1/2" Hardibacker. Currently the other two walls around the tub just have 1/2" Hardibacker w/o any poly behind them.

In order to ensure it is waterproof and so I use a consistent method, could I just remove the Hardibacker from the two side walls, put up poly, recover the side tub walls with the Hardibacker, then tape the seams (and of course cover the seams with thinset), then tile?

OR

should I remove the polly from the "back" tub wall, put the Hardibacker back up, tape the seams, and use a sheet membrane or Redgard on top of the 1/2" Hardibacker?

Also, IF you recommend using a sheet membrane, is there anywhere to get Kerdi fast? The quickest turnaround I've seen is "we can get it to you in 8-10 days". If I need to get it, I'd like it asap.

Lastly, I'm also going to be tiling the floor. Do I also need to put a waterproof membrane on top of the 1/4" Hardibacker I have on the floor?

I'm a newbie to bathroom remodeling, so I want to make sure that I do this right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterproof membrane over Hardiboard needed on walls around tu

Bill or any other experts? please help

o

If they don't see this, I believe the correct answer is either/or, but not both. You can do a more traditional vapor barrier behind the CBU, OR you can use a membrane. On the floor, if you want it to be waterproof (but that is "extra") you could use Ditra, but the CBU is a good enough tile backer without anything else (if it is over a proper sub floor). Waterproofing aside, Ditra over CBU is overkill.

If you choose to use the Kerdi, tile-experts.com is a great resource, you can call and talk to them about your time limitations, I am sure they would be able to help you out!

Below is a link to a great Kerdi link created by MOngo and saved by weedyacres--- scroll to the bottom for the tub surround pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mongo's Tutorial

o

Thanks Pepperidge Farm I appreciate it.

o

If they don't see this, I believe the correct answer is either/or, but not both.

Yup. The problem is that the vapor barrier should be continuous, meaning all three walls should come down and redo the vapor barrier all the way around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here