Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub advice, and photos? Bancroft? Cambrige? Edenton?

Posted by s8thrd (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 1:05

We are having a terrible time finding a traditional looking tub (early 20th c) for our bath remodel. It appears that we have to do an alcove-type tub, with a knee wall on one side. (Our current tub is open on two sides, with the plumbing on the outside end (It can't be in the wall, unless we used the long wall, which we don't like.) Nobody makes those anymore.) Almost all the tubs we see are either very 1940s/50s/60s looking or very contemporary-looking.

Ideally, we would like it to be 60x30, though we can squeeze 60x32. We want something 16-20 inches deep, which rules out a whole lot. We can't do a freestanding tub because it has to double as a shower.

First, if anyone has any advice, it would be very much welcomed. Photos would also be welcomed!

Among the tubs we are currently considering (without enthusiasm) are the American Standard Cambridge and Kohler Bancroft. (These are both 60x32, not our preferred 60 x30.) Unfortunately we can't find any samples of them anywhere in our area. So if anyone had any good photos of either of those, installed, they would be very much welcome. The manufacturer's photos are terrible!

We are also considering the Mirabelle Edenton, which is just 60x30, but have mixed feelings because it is so modern looking, and has almost no lip around it for shampoo etc. Also we have seen the quality concerns posted here. But if anyone has used one of those in a traditional-looking-bathroom context, photos would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub advice, and photos? Bancroft? Cambrige? Edenton?

We have a Bancroft. It is a very comfortable, deep soaking tub. I was fortunate enough to find one at a local showroom to sit in before I decided. I take a lot of baths and wanted something deep and traditional-looking.

Here is a photo--sorry I don't have one looking straight on that shows the whole thing.

photo DSC_0942.jpg

o

Thank you! That photo helps, especially in the traditional setting. And your bathroom is beautiful! Similar to what we are hoping for.

o

Girlcat36 used the bancroft, too, in her lovely remodel. And Staceyneil used the Princeton, the lower version of the cambridge, in one her bath redos.

This post was edited by writersblock on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 11:14

o

Thanks. We weren't sure if the Cambridge looked the same as the Princeton or not.

We actually came across a Cambridge today and liked the look. It's definitely not the same as cast iron, which we have now, but it combines the depth that we want with a very traditional look so we will probably go with that.

o

Please let us know how you like it after you've had it a while. The cambridge is on my short list, too.

Incidentally, if you read all of staceyneil's thread, she does talk about americast vs acrylic towards the end. She has both.

o

I'll post mine later. I chose the Edenton for my house (1826) and haven't had any issues after installation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here