Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

why do so few people post pics of their finished bathrooms?

3katz4me
13 years ago

I was wondering why there are so few finished bathroom posts here - compared with all the kitchens for example. Granted maybe there are fewer people in Bathrooms than Kitchens but still very few people post pics of their finished bathroom projects. It can't be that there are that many other people like me - who keep pondering and assessing and analyzing and never actually get anything done.

Comments (90)

• dakota01
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The the pebble/stone floors int he shower easy to clean? I'm thinking of using them but I am worried with all my "girly" products, shave cream, moisturizer, scrubs, etc. that the excess product will get between the stones and will just "stick" there.

• pepperidge_farm
    13 years ago

jeannie01- I haven't had that problem per se. I use a very thick conditioner that sometimes if it's the last thing I do in the shower, I can feel it underfoot, so I just make sure I slosh the water around to rinse it down. We squeegee the 4 walls and a little on the floor and I rarely need to use cleaner (it's mostly soap in there) and we don't use bar soap and I have forbidden DH from all his pink hair products :-)

Some Pics of mine:

{{gwi:1441902}}
    {{gwi:1419278}}
    {{gwi:1413770}}
    {{gwi:1422115}}
    {{gwi:1405050}}
    {{gwi:1441906}}

Here is the link to mine 3 baths, 2 are VERY difficult to photograph, size wise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepperidge Farm

• annkathryn
    13 years ago

I think part of the reason people don't post is because GW makes it so difficult to post photos. But once someone surmounts that hurdle, I think there's probably a privacy concern, plus that cringe moment when the poster considers opening him/herself up to less-than-enthusiastic responses to a project she's poured her heart into.

Just a guess.

So many nice pictures in this thread.

lukkiirish, I adore your slate!

Anyway, I've posted my hall and master baths in the past. Here's another look. The hall bath is long and narrow and hard to photograph. Clicking on the photos will take you to the Picasa album.

From Hall bath

• User
    13 years ago

I hadn't been here in a few days, all I can say is wow, these bathrooms are definitely drool worthy!!! So many cool ideas and colors!

Thanks annkatheryn! I appreciate it, we love it too! :c)

• jolynna
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for your kind words Minnette, Moccasins & Techiestar! My bathroom was the hardest room of my house for me so your words mean a lot.

Minnette, my tub deck and vanity counter are leathered Jet Mist Granite. We used it for my kitchen counters and in our fireplace front too. I love soapstone, but thought granite would be more bulletproof. So far it has been. Nothing seems to show.

Moccasins,

Here are the details:

Mouser Cabinets, tub surround & mirrors
    Artic White American Olean tiles for shower & chair rail
    Rejuvenation lights over vanity (Halfway)
    Danze Opulence faucets and hardware
    Carrara Marble basketweave tile floor

• llcp93
    13 years ago

Back in 1994, my husband and I bought our first house. It had been a rental property in a cute neighborhood by the university. However, it has sat vacant for 3 years. We were not allowed to live in it after purchase until some things were taken care of.
    We took out a $10,000 home improvement loan (in addition to mortgage) to renovate the whole house (including furnace)with what had to be done and things we wanted to do.
    Unfortunately, I dont have too many "before" photos.
    "Off peach" tile ran halfway up the walls, the subfloor was rotted under the tub as well as window frame, every piece of wood, wallboard etc has coats and coats of different colors of paint. Of coarse, we ran into things we didn't expect, so we really had to watch the budget.
    We did everything ourselves, except the electrical (new 4 plug outlet in bath at vanity, GFCI outlet by sink, and venting/exhaust fan in bath), new furnace, and refinishing hardwood floors. We even replaced bathroom floor joists. It was truly a labor of love.

Bath layout-Not to scale. It was small.
    {{gwi:1441911}}

rotted subfloor and floor joists where tub was
    {{gwi:1441912}}

wall separating tub and vanity area that was rotted
    {{gwi:1441914}}

Existing built in cabinet that had a horrible stink and 1000 layers of paint.
    {{gwi:1441916}}

All the wallboard (fron 1955) had to come out, as well as the "off Peach" wall tile.
    {{gwi:1441918}}

Joists and subfloor replaced and toilet and tub reinstalled. We went with a new toilet later but due to budget, kept the old original cast iron tub. HEAVY!
    {{gwi:1441920}}
    {{gwi:1441922}}

Got a new 4 plug outlet at vanity and gfci at sink (professionally installed)
    {{gwi:1441924}}

Cement board and tape and bedding install.
    {{gwi:1441926}}

Is that a precision cut or what?
    {{gwi:1441927}}
    {{gwi:1441928}}

Tub tile almost done
    {{gwi:1441929}}

My dad built these built ins. Doors not installed yet.
    {{gwi:1441931}}

Finished! Hard to get a good pic with all the angles.
    {{gwi:1441932}}
    {{gwi:1441933}}

• mg70
    13 years ago

I don't know how to post my pictures into the message. I only have been able to include a link. If someone can tell me how I will post mine. I'm very computer savvy but for some reason this task is baffling me!

• User
    13 years ago

You need to set up an account with photobucket.com or tinypic.com, up load your picture into it, when you do the site offers you different code for that picture to use with different program platforms, copy the HMTL code and paste it into the message box.

If you can't get it to work, just email me (address in my profile) and I'll be happy to help you with it.

• pps7
    13 years ago

So many great bathrooms. We are still under construction, but I will try to post pics when we're done. It is hard to get pics in bathroom b/c of the small spaced involved.

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

jolynna: can you tell me what kind of marble tile you used for your bathroom floor? Is that the carrera basket weave tile? What manufacturer did you go with? It looks really beautiful.

• mg70
    13 years ago

Thanks Lukkiirish for teaching me how to post pics. Here is my finished bathroom

• chelsercat
    13 years ago

Just figured out to post pictures! Thanks to this website for lots of helpful information. This was our 5 x 7 master bath transformed into a 5 x 13 master by taking over one of two closets in an adjoining guest bedroom.

Before: Shower

Before: Sink

Before: Flourescent Lighting

Before: Linen Closet

After: Shower

After: Sink

After: Linen Closet

• User
    13 years ago

AnnKathryn, the teak bench in your shower is the same one I have, from Smith & Hawkins before they went out of business.
    I too like all the teak benches, have two other styles as well. Plus some teak arm chairs which are very old now, not from S&H.

I love the way your shower looks.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Very nice! I'll bet you love the added space. The colors are very soothing.

• sandsonik
    13 years ago

lukkiirish, your bathroom is gorgeous! I love the floor - is that slate or a lookalike? And if so, do you remember the name of it?

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

I just posted mine ...debrak's finished master bath.

• User
    13 years ago

Debrak, you're pictures didn't show up. :c(
    Do you know how to post pictures? Are you using the HTML code from photobucket or tinypic.com?

Sandsonik: Thank you so much, we've been so happy with it. :c) All of the tile work on the floor and in the shower is real slate and it's called Indian Autumn. It's less common than the popular multicolored slates but a lot of places still carry it.

• User
    13 years ago

Debrak! Sorry bout that, I saw your earlier post when you were having problems. Love the pics, Kudos to your DH, he did a great job, your bathroom looks fantastic!

If anyone is interested, here's the link to Debraks bathroom photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: Debraks new master bath

• howling_angel
    13 years ago

mg70, what paint color/brand is in your bathroom? i love it!

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

lukkiirish, thank you the the kinds works and posting the link!

Every bathroom posted here has something I like...too bad I only have 1 more bathroom to do.

• User
    13 years ago

You're welcome debrak, I know what you mean, we have 1 more bathroom to go too! Too many choices, too few bathrooms. :c)

• mg70
    13 years ago

Howling angel, I used Sherwin Williams Krypton

• kaysd
    13 years ago

It is so nice to see so many pictures of beautiful bath re-models. We just bought a new (to us) home and need to gut 2 bathrroms.

mg70, could you please tell me the name of the stone you used for your counters? They are gorgeous!

• mg70
    13 years ago

Thanks kaysd. The counters are polished white carrera marble

• gnlinaz
    13 years ago

Wow, all the bathrooms look great! I am thinking of remodeling my tub/ shower to just a shower. I am wondering if it is easy to keep clean the shower tiles and the glass doors? I live in Arizona where we have hard water. Any thoughts on materials I can use that are easy to keep clean?

Thanks!

• minette99
    13 years ago

gnlinaz -- My bathroom pic is posted up above - completed in May. Daily, I squegee the doors and then I quickly wipe the shower walls down with a wet sponge (no soap). That takes less than 5 minutes and works great and I haven't had any issues with water spots or filmy residue.

Weekly (or longer), I use a portable, hand steam cleaner to keep it clean and sparkly. The hand steamer works great, too -- I love the steam cleaner for the whole bathroom and I use it all over the room. It feels really clean after and looks sparkly without having to use a bunch of cleaning products. And it's kind of fun to use, too. But I don't have hard water so I don't know if this helps you or not...?

• aunttomichael
    13 years ago

We finished this hall/guest bathroom two years ago and I never got around to posting pictures. You've now guilted me into it, plus given me a reason to clean the bathroom. :-)

We kept the footprint of the bathroom but replaced everything except the clawfoot tub (which we painted and refnished) and the beadboard.

We also did some minor upgrades to two other baths, which I will post as soon as I can. I know how helpful it was for me to look at pictures when I was going through the process.

Somewhere I have "before" photos..but suffice it to say, it was a mess. :-)

Like others have it, it was tough getting good pictures of such a small room.

I'll answer any questions the best I can.

{{gwi:1430683}}

{{gwi:1430684}}

{{gwi:1430685}}

{{gwi:1430681}}

{{gwi:1441949}}

{{gwi:1441951}}

{{gwi:1441953}}

{{gwi:1430686}}

{{gwi:1441956}}

An older one of the floor:

{{gwi:1400068}}

• aunttomichael
    13 years ago

Here's a full shot of the vanity.

{{gwi:1400065}}

• southerngalinnyc
    13 years ago

Hi Aunttomichael,
    Love what you did with your small space. I am soon moving on to my third bathroom and I am intrigued by your floor tile. I don't think I've seen it... can you tell me what you used?
    Many thanks!

• catkin
    13 years ago

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

• Andrew
    13 years ago

MG70,

What color are those walls?

• chinchette
    13 years ago

aunttomichael- where did you find that vanity? I like it. Did it come with the top, etc.?

• Sherrie Moore
    13 years ago

Sundownr!! I love the hardware on your first bathroom remodel. What is the manufacturer and style of those nickel? handles??

• aiallega
    13 years ago

aunttomichael,
    I love your vanity. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Could you please let me know where you purchased it? Thanks. Amy

• sundownr
    13 years ago

buckeyegoldenmom, I bought the faucets many years ago at Home Depot. They are one of the few things I was able to reuse. They are Delta.

Beautiful bathrooms, mg70, chelsercat and aunttomichael!

• mg70
    13 years ago

atct86: Sherwin Williams Krypton

• catkin
    13 years ago

bump

• aunttomichael
    13 years ago

Luvscritters, chinchette and southerngal--

Sorry I haven't checked this forum for awhile. You've probably all made your decisions by now but just in case:

The vanity is 24" Empire Malibu. If you do a search you'll see tons of pictures, but I'll link to one below.

The floor is Carrara marble hex. To deal with the step edge next to the tub, we put in a marble door threshold/saddle.

HTH

Aunttomichael

Here is a link that might be useful: Empire 24

• cece1121
    12 years ago

Aunttomichael.....if you are still checking this string, love the pics of your bathroom. I am doing a bath reno with the same colors. I love the blue trim on your lamp shades....can you tell me the manufacturer of the fixture or did you purchase shades separately? Thanks!

• SK97232
    12 years ago

We remodeled a tiny bathroom in our 1912 Craftsman home. We finished the bathroom to blend with the style in the rest of our home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Remodel Photos

• remodelzombie
    12 years ago

Love all of these Bathroom photos! Thanks for posting!

I'm in the middle of planning 4 bathrooms myself. I think Ann Kathryn is correct about why people don't post. After all of your planning and hard work, it's difficult when people are less enthusiastic about your project, even when you know every single flaw yourself!

Posters need to be mindful of individual taste and geographical location. Certain remodels may not suit everyone's style, but that's why there's chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. My Mother used to say, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!"

• treasuretheday
    12 years ago

Personally, I can't WAIT to post pictures of my finished masterbath! It's been nearly seven months since we gutted the room and we've encountered numerous unexpected delays and issues. I keep reminding myself that it will all be worth it and, in the meantime, I'm trying to enjoy every step.

We recently set the tub into place and tested it, yet again, for any leaks...

• goldstox
    11 years ago

Just finished my small hall bath.

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

Not finished yet...

Have my fingers crossed for this weekend. Toilet/Vanity are going in today.

• sowngrow (8a)
    10 years ago

massagerocks-Love the floor of your shower! Is it ceramic tile, I can't tell.
    Thanks.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Massagerocks said it was marble-"Emperador light
    mosaic".

The thread was active 3.5 yrs ago, so not much chance of that poster seeing your question.

• sowngrow (8a)
    10 years ago

Thanks. The post has gained new life as I saw the picture of that poster's sinks and vanity on Pinterest today, which prompted my viewing of this thread.

• hunzi
    10 years ago

I posted a few pictures of our powder room which we converted from a closet, but since the powder room was a side project to the basement bathroom, all the before, progress and finished photos are in my thread on the basement bathroom, but I don't think very many people read my posts. And since the powder room is literally 3x7, it's nearly impossible to photograph!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Starting From Dirt Basement DIY Bathroom

• wangshan
    10 years ago

I'm not sure but here's one I finished a year and a half ago.

• Melenie5
    10 years ago

I'm glad sowngrow "resurrected" this old thread, because the pictures are all great! There are some good ideas in here. The floor wangshan did is just lovely.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz