Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toilets: what's old is new again

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 0:28

I love touring older homes and just visited Gillette Castle, in Gillette Castle State Park, East Haddam CT. Actor/playwright William Gillette, now mostly forgotten, was the quintessential Sherlock Holmes at the turn of the century, and many of the identifying characteristics we are all familiar with, were actually invented by Gillette, not by author Arthur Conan Doyle (such as the deerstalker cap, the syringe, the "Elementary, my dear Watson" phrase).

Gillette built his home high on a hill above the Hudson River, over a 5-yr time period 1914-1919. A very big man for his time, his bedroom is surprisingly small, with built-in/hidden storage almost like a ship.

His bathroom is simple: tub, wide stand-along sink - but we were struck by the very modern-looking one-piece toilet! Except for the narrow base and rounded top, you'd never know you were looking at such an early toilet:
Photobucket

Gillette Castle itself is worth the visit, craggy stone exterior intended to look like a ruin on a hill, with several miles of hiking trails. The deliberately rustic woodwork inside is a masterpiece of craftsmanship:
Photobucket

Anyway, thought some folks might find it interesting, how surprisingly modern this toilet looked!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toilets: what's old is new again

That sounds like a fun tour. The toilet is unusual, the dimensions are so precarious. That small base looks like the whole thing could topple at any moment. The exterior is not very inviting, sort of repelling and sinister :O

o
RE: Toilets: what's old is new again

Just one correction...it overlooks the Connecticut River, not the Hudson River. I live on the other side of the CT river.

It's an interesting place. A lot of "secret stuff"; passageways, viewing portals, latches, etc, were built into the castle.

Worth a visit on a nice day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here