Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need expert advice:caulking around tub

Posted by kristine_ca (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 0:17

We had our kids' bathroom remodeled a few years back, and after about a year, I noticed the caulk around the edge of the tub (where it meets the tile walls) was slightly gray in a few spots. This was not on the surface, and no mildew cleaner faded it at all. It spread gradually, so eventually I had the guy who'd done the tile work come back and replace the caulking. However, now it's a year later and the caulking not only has a few light gray areas again, all of the caulk seems yellowed, and there are cracks within the caulk itself. The yellowed caulk against my white tile looks pretty bad, and now the edges of those cracks are discoloring (rusty) even further. This obviously got away from me (and apparently the cleaning lady wasn't doing much of a job, but that's another story). My old caulk before the remodel was never this much trouble.

Clearly I need to replace the caulk again, but I do not want this to happen again, so I need to understand what's wrong! A little investigation online points to two possible problems: 1) the wrong caulk was used. and 2) chlorine-bleach products made the caulk yellow. Perhaps the problem is a combo of these two. I don't know about the gray--maybe mildew on the underside if things somehow didn't get dried properly before the work?

So, does it sound like the wrong caulk was used? And can products such as Clorox yellow the caulk? Is that true even if I replace with the "right" caulk? Lastly, DH and I have little to no experience w/caulking. How hard is this to get right for an amateur? I don't want to call the tile guy back since that got me nowhere before, but I'm a little reluctant to undertake the job. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need expert advice:caulking around tub

It's hard to say if you used the wrong caulk, since you don't say what was used. It should be 100% silicone caulk, not "siliconized acrylic" or something to that effect. Did you kill the mold before you re-caulked? If so, what did you use? did you let it dry a few days before caulking? Was the surround adequately waterproofed?

o

The biggest problem seems to be tile setters not leaving a suitable open line for caulk.

Many routinely just but the tile to the tub leaving no gap for the caulk.

A gap the same size as a grout joint should be left for the caulk.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 12:37

o

Catbuilder, I don't know the answers to most of your questions, since I did not do the work, nor did I witness the work done. He did not show me the type of caulk (he does this for a living--I trusted him to use what was appropriate). He did not report seeing any visible mold (I asked.) There was no delay between removal and recaulking. It dried for at least 24 hrs, maybe a little longer--I cannot recall. I presume the surround was *adequately* waterproofed, but again I did not do the work. I saw that they did do the waterproofing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here