Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping marble shower clean

Posted by ev2012 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 0:00

Six months ago, we remodeled our master bath. Our shower is white marble which I clean daily with mild dishwasher liquid soap, and weekly with a granite & natural stone cleaner. It's clean and very attractive. A few weeks ago I noticed yellow staining at the bottom of the shower. It does not appear to respond to my cleaning. I am puzzled as to what is causing this and why my natural stone cleaner is not removing it. I should add that we have been careful to only use ph neutral products in the shower. Any thoughts and suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping marble shower clean

I should add that the shower was sealed 6 months ago and the yellow staining is appearing at the bottom of the walls, just above the floor.

o

Stop washing the walls with soap. I believe the residue is tending to run down and stain the lower walls.

Neutral PH liquid soap is fine for you.

When you finish the shower and dry off, use the towel to dry the walls.

o

White marbles can contain ferrous minerals(iron).
They are also absorbent . The stone can absorb moisture in a shower stall from the sides ,edges and the underneath. It sounds like the stone is absorbing water from the joints. Silicone will help but the yellow stains is the iron oxidizing. It's rust.
Sealers don't help this issue much because moisture will find a way in.
This doesn't happen all the time with white marbles but every now and again we see this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here