Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
axxis_rose

Tub help-tile flange

axxis_rose
11 years ago

I'm renovating 2 bathrooms and now it's down to the wire for ordering tubs. It's been a difficult process as I have an unusual set-up: narrow, small bathrooms, with room for a tub to go into a corner. One tub will be used as tub only; the other as a tub/shower. I tried to find something suitable to replace my beautiful old cast iron tubs with rounded edge from the 1920s, but the only one I could find was by Waterworks for $9,000! I don't want to reglaze because I've heard about, and seen, peeling in other tubs. Then I learned that all cast iron tubs now have textured bottoms which get dirty-looking so that's out. After much searching I've settled on the idea of a built in Duravit D-Code acrylic tub. They come in the exact sizes I need and have spacious interiors. And, they're not too pricey. They're also available with paneling, but I am not crazy about the seam. So, I think on one I will tile, and the other I'll do a marble slab for the tub/shower, which will also have a glass wall instead of shower curtain.

So here is my question: what is a tile flange and does this tub have one? Will I regret not having one? I've read through many discussions here and honestly am still not sure what a tile flange is. I am running out of time, my head is spinning and I could seriously use some help. Thanks in advance!

The link shows photos of the Duravit D-Code tub with tile, and with panel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duravit D-Code Tub

Comments (9)

• axxis_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Super helpful, thank you. I get it now!

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

The above drawings are super!

A tile flange is a really good idea if the bathtub will also be used as a shower, as it prevents the water from seeping down behind the bath (over time).

I had great difficulty finding a contemporary looking bath that was deep enough to use as a proper soaker, but also came with a tile flange so that it could be used as a shower...

I eventually found some great options by Zuma Collection. Factory installed tile flanges (like the integral one shown in the above picture) are available as an extra option. Some of their tubs do have the same contemporary look of Duravit too!

It the bath is to be used as a shower a LOT, I would be a bit worried that the add-on tile flange would eventually leak a bit. But I am a bit paranoid about this sort of thing! :-)

Good luck with your project!

• axxis_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ruth! After I thought I had made up my mind I am now looking at another tub, the Mirabelle Edenton, which I only know of thanks to this wonderful forum. The Edenton has an integrated tile flange (yay!) and the added bonus of a sleek apron front so I don't have to tile. Now I just have to figure out what "tub has no access panel" means for me, and whether the textured bottom would get dirty looking like the bottom of the cast iron tubs on the market today.

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

I just looked it up and the Mirabelle Edenton is a really GREAT looking bathtub! :-) Aprons can be so tricky, but this one looks really sleek and fab!

Keep up posted on what you learn! Your new bathroom will be fab!!!

Good luck!

Ruth

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

"No access panel" means that you will need to have an adjacent hatch in a wall or closet to service the pump or other innards of a jetted tub. The hatch will need to be on the motor end.

• cruzinpattis
    10 years ago

This thread is worth it's weight in gold.
    Had no idea what a flange tub was.
    Now I do!
    Thanks a million!

• patrickvitale
    7 years ago

Does anyone have experience with a 3/4 glass enclosure vs. full glass enclosure for a tub/shower installation? A little crazed with which way to go. I like the idea a little air coming into the shower/tub area, but am concerned that water will go everywhere regardless of where the shower head is located...including a rain shower head....help

• HU-458905294
    4 years ago

It will be worth it and splurge on the two wall shower surround.