Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiling to Vanity

Posted by ctkathy (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 23:00

Would you normally tile a wall and then install a vanity or install the vanity and tile to the vanity? Would it matter if the bathroom was a very upscale master bath or a more budget installation? (this is a built-in look)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiling to Vanity

Tile the whole wall behind the vanity. If you want/need to replace the vanity in the future, you don't want a hole that may be an odd size to fill. Same reason you run the floor tile under the vanity.

o

It is more the side of the vanity I'm concerned about than the back. I have a window on the side and I'm tiling under the window and then it runs into the vanity and I think it looks better to have the tile on the wall before the vanity is placed.

Just to be clear, you are saying to tile backspash all the way down to the floor behind the cabinet? I'm guessing you would recommend tiling the side walls also before placing vanity?

o

If I had a vanity, and only had a backsplash to tile, I'd install the vanity, then the counter, then the backsplash. If I had the wall tiled, either a wainscot or a full wall, I'd tile first then the vanity, regardless if it was the side or back of the vanity.

o

What enduring said.

o

I agree to tile behind the vanity. I am planning our upcoming bath remodel and this is how I am thinking about the tile and the vanity: the vanity I put in now meets today's needs. There may come a day when I need wheelchair access and the vanity may be too much in the way. In my case, the sink I am using can then be hung on the wall. Others may find that they might want different changes down the road. By tiling the floor and the wall, you retain the ability to make changes to the bathroom. Get a smaller vanity and add a bidet; get a larger vanity with room to do a diaper change - there are a world of possibilities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here