Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swanstone wall panels installed poorly!

Posted by von4now (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 22:52

We are in the middle of a bathroom remodeling project and I had chosen Swanstone shower panels. The contractor installed them in the past two days and did a terrible job! One of the vertical corner pieces that cover the juncture of the side and back panels is cracked. There are gaps all along both the vertical corner pieces, as if not enough adhesive had been applied. And there are gaps at the bottom juncture of the shower pan and the side panel, and several other bad fits. I had asked him when we hired him if he had ever installed these type of panels and he hadn't, but assured me that it wouldn't be a problem. I talked directly with the Swanstone manufacturer and they said installation didn't require any special expertise.
What are my options for dealing with this? Have him take it all out and order the same product and try again? Have him take it all out and put in tile instead? (We have already ordered tile for the floor and the tilers are supposed to be coming in two days.) I don't think I should have to pay for the damaged panels, but what about the labor for what he has done already? Do I hire a new contractor to finish the job? HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swanstone wall panels installed poorly!

sounds like he should redo at his cost.

o
RE: Swanstone wall panels installed poorly!

If you can post photos, that would help.

I agree that it doesn't take special skills to install Swanstone, but it does take someone with the basic ability to plumb and square things. Sounds like he just wasn't very careful in his install. If he can't do large-panel Swanstone, I sure as heck wouldn't trust him with tile.

If the corner piece is cracked, it needs to be replaced. If you mean there's a crack (gap) between it and the wall panel, then you could remove it and install a new one. It'll gunch up the wall a bit to remove it, but the replacement will cover up the gunch just fine.

He owes you a redo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here