Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reuse old beadboard or chuck it?

Posted by AboutToGetDusty (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 22:41

Redoing our kitchen/bath/mudroom and had the contractor pull off all the mudroom beadboard and stash it for now. It's in great shape but it's stained. It's wide. Our small powder room will have grey & white hexagon marble floors, pedestal sink, and I want painted beadboard with wallpaper above. I've seen only narrow beadboard in small bathrooms...looking for pics of bathrooms done well with white wide beadboard. It would be great to recycle but I'm just not sure how it will look like painted white. Oh, and what finish paint (we have kids)? Eggshell? Semi gloss? Gloss?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reuse old beadboard or chuck it?

Why don't you paint a section white and see how it looks?

For bathroom woodwork, I'd go with a semi-gloss. It can be wiped down easily but doesn't show all the imperfections that a gloss does.

o

I absolutely agree with billl: paint it and see how it looks. There are stain-blocking primers that could be used to cover the stains and perhaps you'll love the look. Often older building products can be better quality than what you typically find these days. And your bathroom may be even more unique and beautiful with original beadboard. I recently salvaged some baseboard (my home was built in the 1970s so nothing really cool) because I hated the thought of throwing away baseboards that I pulled out while replacing the flooring. They were in ok shape and a fresh coat of paint cleaned them right up. Saved me some time too since they're all cut to fit and I didn't have to re-cut them.

If you do decide that your beadboard isn't right for your bathroom, perhaps you can consider donating it to somewhere like Habitat for Humanity's Re-Store. Maybe someone else would like to re-use it.

o

Thanks! Trying to design the kitchen, mudroom and powder room all at once while chasing little ones...I won't have time to paint a piece (although that's a great idea!) I may just go for it - I really would like it to work. Thanks! And if I chicken out, I will donate it. Good idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here