Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mold and mildew in travertine shower

Posted by hjones1817 (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 22:38

>in 2007 I had installed a travertine shower stall. We now are getting mold and mildew halfway up the shower. Could you tell me, if that would be coming from water underneath the shower floor where the pan and protective coatings were improperly installed. I have been told that the mold and mildew is coming from water no higher than 18 inches from the base of the shower. Your recommendations. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mold and mildew in travertine shower

How was the shower waterproofed? Have you kept it sealed?

o

Travertine is porous. Is it possible you are just growing mold/mildew on/in the pores of the travertine itself?

o

We have kept the shower sealed. I think the tile man did a faulty install. It was a travesty. The workman actually installing the tile brought the saw into the house without our knowing it until it was too late & we had dust throughout the house.

o

Most travertines(darker travertines can be porous) are not very porous-the material is dense and is formed in calcite rich springs underground. Because of the natural holes and pitting its easy to think it may be porous.
It is a stone that works well in my opinion in wet environments. Provided that the install was done properly.
Are all the joints(corners,base,etc) properly caulked.
Is the pan clogged and holding water. To make sure it is mold test it with full strength bleach. Just a small area-(yes bleach- dont worry it wont hurt the stone) It will if it is mold or mildew remove it. Post a picture if you can. More likely than not there is a cure for your shower stall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here