Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydronic Towel Warmer

Posted by adamdoc (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 22:29

Hi all - we're nearing sheetrock stage, and are finalizing plumbing details. We have an open-loop hot water circulation system primarily to keep our hot water quickly accessible in a fairly wide layout. I'd like to plumb in a hydronic towel warmer, but can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.

I've see the Runtal Fain unit which is stainless steel, but is quite pricey, and the rep on the phone was fairly rude. He also seemed to imply that it will be unattractive next to chrome fixtures, which we have everywhere.

I also saw Amba, but can't see if they will work on an open-loop system.

Myson is another brand that makes these things, and some literature online says that they can work with open loop, but the Myson website says closed-loop only.

We can't go electric because the warmer is set to be above a tub, and our inspector informed us that despite what a few salesmen have told us, that is against code.

Anyone have experience with towel warmers on open-loop circ systems?

thanks in advance!

Adam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydronic Towel Warmer

You're confusing a hot water recirculation system to get hot water to the faucets with a hot water boiler hydronic heating system that has PEX in the floors, or walls, etc. The two aren't interchangeable at all.

First question is how is your home heated? Hydronically?

o

when i had certain questions, i called amba customer service directly and they were very helpful answering questions... the other companies most likely would too over the phone or through email...

o

Thanks for the replies.

Hollysprings - I am not confusing the two. I am quite aware that we don't have hydronic heating, but we do have a domestic hot water recirculation system, which only certain hydronic towel warmers are compatible with... The Fain model is all stainless, so it is fine, but the non-stainless models can't have any air in the system, which is why closed loop is required.

Busybee3 - I'll give Amba a call. Good idea.

Thanks!

o

Hudson Reed sells Hydronic towel warmers. Not sure if they are closed or open loop, but you can check their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: TW for a re-circulating hot water system.

o

Oops, just saw this: Please Note: Our radiators are designed for forced circulation closed loop systems only. They are not compatible with open loop, gravity hot water or steam systems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here