Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Need to Get a Toilet; Which One?

enduring
10 years ago

I would like help in selection of a toilet. Toto most likely as my plumber swears by them :)
My contenders all have the double cyclone flushing system I believe:
1) Drake II

2) Vespin II

3) Maris

I prefer the Maris over the others because of the looks. Anyone have experience with the Maris? I understand that the Drake and the Vespin are the same toilet.

Comments (28)

• lillo
    10 years ago

I like the look of the Maris too , especially if you are after the modern look. It is also easier to clean .The two others look more traditional . I myself got the Ultramax , because I liked its look over the drake 2 . I got the one piece . If they all have the double cyclonic system then my understanding is that they will be performing the same .

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I don't know that I would ever go back to an exposed trapway after having a skirted toilet. (I had the Nexus in the place I just sold).

Looks-wise I like the Maris best and if your plumber doesn't mind what looks like a slightly trickier installation, that's probably what I would pick.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Yes, Vespin is a skirted Drake. My Vespin went in today and so far I like it. Hasn't really been tested much yet, but looks great and I'm really looking forward to cleaning the skirt and two large water holes instead of those crappy bolt covers and a row of slimy pinholes.

The dual flush has a pretty good bowl rinse, which is part if the reason I got it. Guess we'll see soon.

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lillo, yes I am going modern in this part of the house that was added onto in the 70's. Sort of my excuse to try something way different than what I just did next to the kitchen. I am having a lot of fun looking at stuff, then I suffer when I buy it.

Palimpsest, I really like the Nexus and it was a toss up between that and the double cyclone flushes. There are aspects of the lines in the Nexus that are perfect, and the Maris, has some lines that are great too. I think overall I like the Nexus better in the looks department. The tank on the Maris is slightly off IMHO. I love the base though and that turned out lip on the bowl. I flipped back and forth between the 2. The flush system was the winner though. The Drake is a contender because of the reputation and that is the one my plumber likes. The plumber is very flexible with me as I bring home products that he hasn't seen before.

Williamsem, thats what I thought, thanks. I am happy to hear you think it has a good bowl rinse. I bet you will be very happy with it as the Drake is such a good toilet from the reports I've heard. How is your BR coming along?

Thanks you guys, I will be getting the Maris most likely.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

The Maris is interesting, and I like it. Is it new?
    I have both the Drake II and the Vespin II. Both function the same. The vespin is easier to clean around. And, we've had no problems with either.

Get sanagloss. If Maris doesn't come with sanagloss, I'd cross it off my list.

• miruca
    10 years ago

I like the slim look of the Drake with the narrower top - but not the pipe look at the bottom - and I wouldn't want to clean it.

The Vespin has a slim look also and the skirt would be great for cleaning.

The Maris, now that is interesting ... I like the squared off modern look of the upper part ... but I have to say the bottom part reminds me of an outhouse or port a potty!!

• lillo
    10 years ago

enduring , it's good to get out of your shell a little bit and try something new or you will get bored . I think it's exciting and healthy to get or do something different . I did this with my bathroom . I did my kitchen the earthy beigy colors . When I started doing my bathroom I was so saturated with these colors , I wanted something different , clean lines and airy . So I went with the white blue and green . I am very happy every time I look at these colors . I think you just need to put the right things together . The whole thing will look great at the end and you will love this different look .

• williamsem
    10 years ago

After reading here and over at TL, I decided on a Toto too. I also knew I wanted skirted and Sanagloss, but not dual flush (I should have said dual cyclone in the other post. Seriously, who lets me on the interwebz that late at night unsupervised?). If those are some of your criteria, then that leaves you with I think 4-6 choices if I remember right. I ended up only looking at 2-3 due to price, though you can't go by their site msrp, you need to do a web search to see the going rate.

Carlyle, Legato, Aimes, Caroline, Eco Soirée, Eco Guinevere, and Ryohan all come in dual cyclone, skirted, with Sanagloss. I'm sure you'd eliminate half of those just based on style alone if you want a more modern look. Then you can look at other features.

You're so sweet to ask about my project. I'll post when it's done, but here's a peek at its current state. Cork is in, vanity, lights, and toilet are in. So happy to have a toilet on the ground floor again! And you can see a Vespin "in the wild".

Here is a link that might be useful: Dual cyclone skirted Totos

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kirkhall, I think the Maris is fairly new. It does have sanagloss. It has a nice semi recesssed sink too but it wont fit my plan for an 18" vanity. It needs 4" behind the back for the faucet. I am making another soapstone sink for this room. It will probably look like concrete as the stone is so plain.

miruca, we are opposite :) I like the bottom but not the top! I like the front view of the toilet with the wide base. But I have to say if I had the money I'd probably look into this toilet. It is an Inax called Satis with an advanced seat function and flushing water is integrated into the set somehow, I believe:

lillo, thanks for your comments. You are so encouraging and always forward thinking, I love it. You give us good cheer.

williamsem, Thanks for the pictures! That is a bold aqua, I like it. It is very festive, reminds me of the Caribbean and tropical waters. And the floor is pretty too. I have never had cork or experienced it. I looked at the toilet suggestions you posted and I really liked the Legato & Aimes, but I couldn't tell the difference. The prices on these are too high. As you pointed out in your post price is a factor for me too. I am 99% sure I am going with the Maris. Though if price were no object I'd get that Satis I posted above. I love the looks and function of the integrated wash seat.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

If you like the bottom, but not top, you can see if it will accept a different tank. I know you buy the tank and bowl separate for the vespin and drake. I wonder if a drake/vespin tank would fit your Maris bowl, for example...

• lillo
    10 years ago

Enduring , are you going to add a washlet to your Maris ? If after adding the price of the washlet , there will be not a huge difference in price between the Maris and the Inax that you love , I will go with the Inax . It also depends if you are going to use this toilet a lot , so it justifies the price difference . I personally like the Maris because it is in the middle between the modern and traditional look . The Inax is more modern , but it is your call if you want to go full modern . It's function is another issue , see if you can get a washlet that can provide the same functions to add to the Maris .
    At the end you are doing this bathroom once , if you are really attached to the Inax, you will find the way to get it . I told my husband that I will give away my summer vacation to get my white marble that I loved ( 50% more than the regular marble ) . For me walking into my bathroom every day and admiring this marble was more important than going on vacation somewhere for a week .
    ps. I think after the bathroom is done he will forget about my deal!!!

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no, Kirkhall, you have compounded my problem :) I had, for a second, thought about the switch. But NO! I just can't take on one more experiment :/ But seriously, it will be just fine the way it is. But this is a great idea for those with curiosity.

Lillo, LOL about the "deal", be sure to let us know, ok? The Satis is like 3,4, or 5K so I won't need to make my case for it. But if I were rich, I would in a heart beat :)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Just to poke the bees nest...I'd rather pay 5k for a toilet than a wedding dress :-)

Not that I'm implying you would/did pay that much if applicable, just that it's an expense many shell out big bucks for that has nowhere near the daily affect on your life that a good toilet would.

Sorry, I'm just full of random thoughts today.

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Williamsem, me too - LOL (about the choice between toilet and dress). I paid $300, 25 years ago. Simple affair with homemade food at the brunch/reception. Didn't need to buy flowers either as we had the wedding at the botanical center in the dead of winter :) One brides maid, and a flower girl. They got to pick out their own useful dress that would work for other occasions. I had no special colors cause I just couldn't choose. So I had "every color" in my wedding.

But the Maris is on for now :) I think what I don't like about the Maris is the slant to the tank lid. It does reflect the slant to the bowl though. It would look "more better" I think if it didn't do that. But I might be getting used to it as I recheck it every time I make a post on this thread :)

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

endurng: "I think what I don't like about the Maris is the slant to the tank lid."

Everybody we know has a piece of reading matter (for guests) atop the tank lid. (On ours is a copy of Rose George's "The Big Necessity.") I take it that the practice in your household is different?

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Sounds like my wedding! I begrudgingly spent $750, but considering I didn't go to David's, I thought I did pretty good. Co-maids that picked out the dresses with repurposing in mind, just told the florest to use seasonal blooms, had the ceremony at the restaurant and they made the cake! Still cost a bunch, but we didnt have to go into debt!

Hence I have a Vespin. Shelled out the dough for a skirted Toto, but only so far as the cheapest model to meet my needs. Budget minded quality, lol!

• miruca
    10 years ago

For some reason I'm not seeing the Satis photo .. but that is probably a good thing.

Williamsem -that Vespin and the bathroom look really nice!

Enduring - I relate ... I can't take one more creative thing! So much, so many details ... in so little time. I'm sure your Maris will look fabulous and I look forward to seeing the finished room.

Lillo - I agree that things I look at and use everyday may be worth the price - my problem is I think that on just about everything and it seems there is a desirable upgrade on everything I look at.

• lillo
    10 years ago

Enduring , I think that when your whole bathroom will be done you will completely forget about the slant of the toilet . Your eyes will be drawn by your floor , shower , soapstone sink ....etc, etc. I realized that as we choose each item we concentrate a lot on its details , but when you put all the items together , these details will fade away and you will completely forget about them . When I was painting my kitchen I fussed over any scratch or small dent here and there . Now I don't even look at the wall there . Save your energy for the bigger details , I am sure you will love it, I personally like it a lot .

Miruca,as I can see from your posts that you are just starting your selections process . We have all gone through this , you are overwhelmed with the choices, and there is always something better . I just try to get what I like in the best quality possible , for the lowest price possible . My DH complains that I have an expensive taste and that I have to have the best . I agree with that , but I do my homework by shopping around for good deals (it involves spending a long time on my iPad ) . Good luck with you selections . Keep us posted .

• lillo
    10 years ago

Enduring , I think that when your whole bathroom will be done you will completely forget about the slant of the toilet . Your eyes will be drawn by your floor , shower , soapstone sink ....etc, etc. I realized that as we choose each item we concentrate a lot on its details , but when you put all the items together , these details will fade away and you will completely forget about them . When I was painting my kitchen I fussed over any scratch or small dent here and there . Now I don't even look at the wall there . Save your energy for the bigger details , I am sure you will love it, I personally like it a lot .

Miruca,as I can see from your posts that you are just starting your selections process . We have all gone through this , you are overwhelmed with the choices, and there is always something better . I just try to get what I like in the best quality possible , for the lowest price possible . My DH complains that I have an expensive taste and that I have to have the best . I agree with that , but I do my homework by shopping around for good deals (it involves spending a long time on my iPad ) . Good luck with you selections . Keep us posted .

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Herring-Maven, well the Satis offers no need for reading, one would be too busy admiring the fine toilet to bother. The Maris, on the other hand, could hold a narrow pamphlet or brochure without slipping off. Now that you bring it up I have the perfect book for the guest bathroom. Its called "Foyle's Philavery". I know you would love it. It is a collection of "interesting and unusual words". I am going to put it there right now :)

Williamsem, too funny! You are a penny pincher. I'm not so much. My DH is though so I count on him to help rein me in!

Miruca, LOL, thanks for your support in my desire to NOT switch out the tank!

• sofla
    10 years ago

Try to imagine the toilet with the vanity , tub and items around it as the slant may not matter to you.
    I put the ultramax in my master because it is surrounded by walls so the visible trap isn't noticed. In my boys bath will be one of the above, skirted. I like the maris.
    Putting together a bath reno is like a woman , who wakes up without her makeup on. She is plain, but then add the mascara, eyeliner , makeup and top off with earrings and she is pulled together and is gorgeous. That is our baths.

• sofla
    10 years ago

Lillio, I told my husband that in exchange for my white marble and air tub, he would not have to buy me anniversary, birthday, any gift for the rest of my life. Nothing makes me happier than to feel like you are in a 5 star bathroom.

• porcelain6
    10 years ago

if you are buying a toto you should consider a washjet with it. we saw them everywhere in japan and really liked its function. so three years ago when we redid the bathroom we installed a toto with a washjet. everyone thought we were nuts but now everyone enjoys the warmed seat and also the jet for cleaning ones' bottom, etc. better than wiping with toilet paper and much nicer for women at those times of the month. just my suggestion......

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Porcelain6, I have that planned for the future:) I have an Inax in my other bathroom and really like it A LOT. So this room will get one too, but I will have to wait. I will have the outlet installed. I was hoping to transfer my Inax from the other bath to this new remodel but the toilet for this new room is an elongated seat so wont fit. AND, I bought an outrageously expensive towel tree. But that purchase has just solved all my towel bar needs (I hope:) I wish it could bring world peace.

Any way I bought the Maris yesterday on line. I think I am really close to having all my items for this bathroom.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Very nice! I love the style. Looking forward to another bathroom by you!

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Williamsem, I will keep the forum posted.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Agree with williamsem, looking forward to another bathroom! I like the looks of the Maris, I haven't seen it live in the local store. New model?

We got married in Vegas, so nobody can complain I spent too much on a dress or any other wedding item. :-)

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Divotdiva, I love it that you can spend more on your bathroom! Aren't you just so happy about that!

I am going on vacation for a week and will be out of internet capability. A retreat for the soul. Really looking forward to it. When I get back it is back to the bathroom remodel.