Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to waterproof seam between floor tile and shower pan

Posted by constant_gardner (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 21:41

First, I'm new so apologies if this has been discussed interminably before, but I did search and couldn't find an answer.

Secondly, I've been lurking a while and have had many questions answered for me already, so thanks to all y'all for help already given.

I'm in the middle of an upstairs bathroom remodel, which is becoming exponentially more involved as the days progress. I've pulled out the old bath, and ripped up the floor tile, and will be replacing the bath with a walk in shower, and relaying ceramic tiles on top of the plywood subfloor.

However, the floor under the bath, and under the tile has become rotten over the last 30 years or so, and I'm going to need to replace the subfloor as well. It looks as though water has dripped down the side of the bath when the shower was used, and seeped between the join between the tile floor and the side of the bath, and rot ensued.

I'd like to avoid this happening, I know I'm not going to be replacing it in 30 years time, but it'd be nice if the guy who has to, doesn't call me the names that I've been using to describe the original contractor ;)

I'm planning on tiling with thinset - ditra - thinset - tile, and then sealing the tile. The shower base that I'm using is one of the swanstone veritek prefab bases, and I'm also putting swanstone shower surround walls and a kohler sliding glass door.

So, how should one best seal the joint between the shower pan and the tile?

Part of my problem is that the pan has to be laid level, and so I can't build up the surface beneath the front of the pan too much. Otherwise I'd just extend the ditra beneath the shower pan.

I was thinking about putting a layer of redguard down on top of the plywood subfloor, is there a problem with doing that? Or should I run the ditra under the entire floor, including under the shower pan? Or is there another technique?

cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to waterproof seam between floor tile and shower pan

If you're looking to waterproof the floor, run the Ditra up to the shower pan, and cut it nice and uniform, leaving about an 1/8" gap, and then caulk it. Also, pick up a roll of Kerdiband to seal up the seams in the Ditra.

o

thanks that sounds very sensible, just to be clear do you mean caulk the ditra to the pan and then lay tile on top.

o

Correct, and then caulk the tile, as well. The caulking from the Ditra to the pan would be for waterproofing purposes, while the caulking from the tile to the pan would be for reasons of movement.

o

gotcha, thanks - not the way I'd have thought to do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here