Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In-floor radiant heat coupled with open shower

Posted by MrsPete (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 21:32

We're planning an open shower-- open as in no doors. Is it okay to have radiant heat under the tiles in an area that's going to get wet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In-floor radiant heat coupled with open shower

Different manufacturers have different requirements. Some prohibit it, some allow them with no restrictions, some only allow them if they are under a waterproof membrane.

In my house, I have whole house hydronic RFH, even under the shower. For all practical purposes, I really don't think you'd notice much of a difference between having the RFH under your shower tiles and having the shower water warm your floor tiles before you step in the shower.

But if you do want to do it, there are ways to do it.

o

I think ours is Laticrete brand. Our shower is curbless and the radiant floor heat covers wet and dry areas. I had already perused the John Bridge tile forum where they talk a lot about radiant floor heat so I knew I could have it under the wet area as well. My contractor did ask me initially so this probably helped him decide which product to use.

And we LOVE the open shower concept. No door to mess with. Adds a lot to the relaxation of a shower.

This post was edited by elphaba on Mon, May 27, 13 at 23:34

o

My GC wants $2,000 to put hydronic RH in the walls of a corner shower with 2 exterior walls in a 5x7 space. We are in Maine building a new house for aging in place. I am wondering if we should pay up for the RH or install a shower door for about 1K. Any opinions on that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here