Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing cast iron tub

Posted by tomatofreak (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 21:32

We bought an old house and it's a mess. I don't think anyone ever cleaned and I don't think I can possibly bring the tub back. There's no way to get it out and I'm considering refinishing it. Pictures online look great, but has anyone done this? If you have any experience with glazing over porcelain cast iron tubs, please tell me what you think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing cast iron tub

Did you see the responses you got on the decorating forum? I wondered if you saw them because you did post back.

o

Basically the tub is painted with an epoxy paint

o

We had our cast iron tub refinished in 2000. It looked like brand new for a dozen years until it got chipped by an air conditioner :O

o

bikerchic, do you remember what product was used on your tub?

o

Are you sure it cannot be just cleaned? The old porcelain is very thick, and can be renewed many times if there are no rusted spots.

o

OTC, I am going to try again to clean it. Epsom salts and dish detergent has been recommended and I will also try CLR.

This Old House site also noted that tub 'liners' can be used. I know nothing about these. Does anyone else?

o

What does the tub look like? Can you post a photo?

o

Here's the surround. It's actually a pretty blue tile in mint condition. Go figure!

o

...And here's the tub. The upper part is not bad and there are no chips or cracks - at least that I've seen yet. The rusty stuff is all in the bottom and lower 1/2, worst at the drain.

o

I forgot to say: This is after two attempts to get it clean. :(

o

>This Old House site also noted that tub 'liners' can be used. I know nothing about these. Does anyone else?

Yes, you pay about what you would pay to have the tub pulled and replaced along with a new tile surround, only instead you pay that money to get a fiberglas thingy made to fit over the existing tub. They're purely junk. I've known two people who did this and both regretted it bitterly.

You might want to investigate ROG cleaner. I've never used it but Kohler recommends it and retrorenovation seems pretty stoked about it.

This post was edited by writersblock on Mon, May 12, 14 at 16:45

o

I've actually gotten a lot of the stain out - to my surprise. So far Zud and Barkeeper's Friend have been most effective. Has anyone run the tub full and added bleach for an overnight soak? I'm thinking that's next unless it would etch the porcelain. Thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here