Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whar size marble tile is most practical on a shower floor?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 21:32

We will likely be doing 12 in sq marble tiles on the shower wall, maybe 5.5 sq in for the ceiling, and I'm looking for something for the floor, but don't want to order something that's not practical in terms of grout and other things. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whar size marble tile is most practical on a shower floor?

I used 9"x18" calacatta on the bathroom floor and shower walls and 2"x2" mesh-backed on the floor. The 2" tiles (to me) provide plenty of traction. If I had time to wait on what I wanted, which were mini bricks, I would have used those for continuity in the pattern, but these were in stock and 30% less in price.

A lot of people use 1"x1", which would be fine, too, or 5/8"x5/8", which I think is too much grout for the floor, but that's just my opinion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Wow, gorgeous space! I love the black edge. That's got me thinking of doing a black border in ours. Thanks

o

2x2 is by far, the most common tile size used on shower floors. It conforms well to the cone shaped slope of the floor, but it's still big enough that you don't end up with a grout floor and bits of tile in between the grout.

o

Think about tiling a "bowel" because that's what you are essentially doing. Maximum size is 4".....2" is optimal. I've used a 7" but it was a huge shower.....

o

tiletech, what is a "bowel"? thanks.

o

DANG, KevinMP your BR just looks so nice - every time I see that lovely marble!

o

Hmmm. "bowl." lol....

o

Woops. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here