Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Looking for DOORLESS Shower Pics!!

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

We're building & we need to get some ideas for our 4'x6' shower that we want to walk-in sans door.

Been all over Houzz but have not found anything that click for us yet.

Specifically shower w/ full walls - no glass for us.

Please post your pics or ideas!!

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Comments (14)

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

We chose to make part of the side wall a 5' high pony wall, but it definitely could have been completely closed in. No glass, no doors and no splash out that the builder swore would happen with that pony wall...

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I came to the right place. Fantastic! Thanks both.
    Keep it coming - others please!

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

If you google "universal design showers" you'll probably find a number of doorless showers.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Here's a board on Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-tips-for-creating-your-own-wetroom-stsetivw-vs~292118)

• dietitian
    11 years ago

is it cold in the shower without a door to keep in the steam? I love the look!

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by annkathryn (My Page) on Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 0:26

If you google "universal design showers" you'll probably find a number of doorless showers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a board on Houzz

Thanks for the keyword search idea!
    Essentially, we are looking more for a shower with no door than wall-less shower or wet room. But those wet rooms are really interesting.

• rkalish
    11 years ago

Mydreamhome- what are the dimensions of your
    shower?

What would you consider a minimum width between the
    shower head and the back wall to shower comfortably?

Thanks

• rkalish
    11 years ago

mydreamhome - I think your shower design is great - very open and not confining with natural light coming in. Now have to try and fit something similar into my plans.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Here is one..

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by mydreamhome (My Page) on Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 15:13

Dietitian - I don't find the shower cold at all without the door. I think the biggest thing people think about is when they step out of a walled shower or pull open the curtain and the cooler air outside of the shower hits your body that has just been under somewhat hot - hot water. Anyone would feel at least a little cold in that scenario. But when the shower is an open design, you don't get that blast of cool air hitting you making you feel cold. Our builder kept telling us that it would be cold without the door and wanted us to install a fan with a heater--we declined & are glad we did as it wasn't needed.

Bob4321 - Our shower is 4x7, the bench is 12" deep leaving total floor space of 4x6. I would consider 4' to be the minimum width to shower comfortably if your showerhead(s) will be on the longer walls. In ours, the spray hits the floor just shy (~6-10") of the opposite wall. You can go narrower, but it will be a little tight. 5' wide would allow a wheel chair to turn around in the shower which is a nice feature (my parents have that in case one is needed as they age).

@mydreamhome: I know we've communicated before on this topic but am always appreciative of the details you provide on your shower!

A couple of follow-up questions:

1) Are you saying that a person won't be as susceptible to the change in ambient air temperature - when stepping out of the shower - because they are already exposed to it already in a doorless shower?

2) Noticed your hand & angled shower heads are mounted on 'width' side wall. Water would bounce between the 4' width, but does it ever go over the curb at the opposite 'short' side?

- Ours is going to be 4'x6' (WxL) with a side entrance & no seat, so I am wondering if I should worry about water jumping the curb.

• jolsongoude
    11 years ago

Ours are roughly 2-8 x 7-0. Cold (Wisconsin winter) hasn't been a problem, even with windows located right near the showers, but our bathrooms are small - I've seen showers that are bigger than our bathrooms.

• scott0470
    11 years ago

The picture I attached is not the best and was taken with my phone during construction. The shower you are looking at is 5' deep and 9'long. I have a 12" rain maker type shower head mounted to the ceiling, about 2 1/2 feet from the far wall. The shower head is set at 8 1/2 feet above the floor as the shower has a 9 1/2 foot ceiling. Even with the water falling from that height, I get very little splash out the door.

PS on the picture, yes that is a recep/switch over the sink and yes I moved it. Changed the location of the vanity after I wired the receps. Also, if you look closely in the mirror, you will see the top of the urinal. That's right a urinal. Had to fight for that one, but by far the best thing to have. :)

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

We put in a doorless shower about two years ago. Our GC suggested a skylight in the shower, I wasn't so sure but decided to go for it. Turns out I love it. The bathroom is on the second floor. In the summer, here in Northern Michigan, it feels like you are outside taking a shower.

Because it has two outside walls, I was worried about the cold in the winter, so we ran our hot water heat under the floor and put in a towel warmer. Not cold at all!!!

Planning on gutting my downstairs bath this summer, I'll be asking for ideas soon.

Nancy