Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adh673 - Why Do You Hate Your Toto Drake?

Posted by jmcgowan (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 21:24

Would like to hear your rationale. And do you have other Toto toilets that you do like/dislike?

If others have feedback, please post, too.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adh673 - Why Do You Hate Your Toto Drake?

I love my drakes....I have two. They never clog and are easy to clean. I just bought two more for my mountain house. we will see how clean they stay with the well water there. The current builder-grade toilets are dirty within a few days of cleaning due to the poor water. hopefully the toto sanigloss will help with that.

o

Thanks, jules, for the feedback, glad to hear that you like them. I am considering them, and need to place my order soon.

o

I'm getting Drake II's just based on the tons of positive reviews out there. Now I'm curious why someone wouldn't like the Drake, unless the II is an upgrade?

o

My parents put them at the beach when they renovated and then put them in their city house after that because they liked them so much. The only complaint they have is that they are loud - maybe because they work ;). We bought all Totos for our new build - 7 Drakes and a Soiree (which cost more than 3x as much as the drake but it has a window above and needed to be shorter than the window). They are not in use yet so don't know if it is worth the almost 600.00 upcharge . . .

o

It's always filthy- I have all boys which doesn't help but I am just amazed at what a mess it always is. Very low water level. I replaced a 24 old toilet with it- it was some cheap builder grade one- and I wish I had it back. Also as some of these reviews mention, when it clogs- and it does- plunging it is super hard because the hole is at a weird angle.

Here are some reviews http://www.toiletsthatwork.com/toto-toilet-detail.asp?id=CST744S&name=DRAKE&view=1&view2=seat#review
And I totally agree with the negative ones. Maybe it's this version- non Ada and elongated that is awful because I cannot see anyone liking this. I was hugely disappointed in toto.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reviews

o

Update- I went back and looked and it seems I dont have a drake. I have an ultramax. I was going to get a drake and have no idea why I went with ultramax- maybe b/c it is one piece. I dont remember Anyway- so I dont know about the drake but I saw reviews on the drake with the same problems I have on the ultramax so I think I will avoid toto.
Here is the actual model number- avoid!- Toto MS854114S Ultramax One-Piece Toilet (Elongated).

o

All high efficiency/low water toilets have a smaller "water spot" than the old 6+ gallon toilets. We changed out on of our 25 yr old toilets for a Drake II (ADA, elongated, sanagloss). It has clogged twice, but was easy to clear. You do have to clean your toilet every now and then; but it isn't bad. And, our water usage has gone down a LOT with this 1 toilet replacement (we didn't replace our second toilet at the same time...I wanted to see how this Drake II held up/cleaned, etc...and have a bathroom remodel in store for the other one anyway. Will replace it then).

If I had to change one thing, (if Toto is reading this thread to improve for next time), I'd figure out how to make the outlet be round as you are looking down on it from up top, rather than have the square-ish end to it (where the "jet" comes from). Over time, I believe that may be difficult to clean well (in the corners, since most brushes are round). But we haven't had ours long enough for me to see that yet.

o

Love our Drake. 6 years, no clogs, no issues. As it should be in toilet world.

o

I have a Toto Drake 1.6 and a Toto Eco Drake 1.28, both elongated, both "universal height", and both 10" rough in. (The 10" rough in really limits the choices! ) Overall I like both. They're good sturdy flushers and never seem to clog. Unfortunately, the Sana Gloss option is not available for 10" rough in. I previously had (and still have one) a 6 gallon old toilet. In the new small water spot toilets, bowl cleanliness is sometimes an issue (with solids), and more so with the 1.28. Ironically, the old 6 gallon toilet clogs more often than the Toto Drakes, and a clog is a little more scary since the 6 gallons come dangerously close to the top of the toilet when it clogs. I would recommend the Drake (rather than the Eco Drake) as a good option.

o

Pricklypear,
Thanks for mentioning you have a 1.28 and 1.6. I was wondering about the real life difference in performance and cleaning etc. Could you, or anyone else for that matter, elaborate on how much better the 1.6 might be for flushing or bowl cleanliness? The only advantage i can think of of going with a 1.28 is just saving a third of a gallon each flush. Not insignificant but maybe not worth a consistently soiled bowl.
Thanks,
Ken

o

When we were building I wanted a Toto toilet. My husband refused, based on bad reviews. At the time the American Standard Cadet had the best reviews, so we went with that. It's somewhere around 3 gallon per flush. They were being phased out at the time in favor of the 1.6 toilets, so we grabbed them.

They aren't fancy. They don't have a "designer" look. However, the plain style of them blends just fine with all my other "fancier" fixtures. I wanted a toilet that works. After all, it's a toilet. Toilets tend to go pretty much unnoticed once the newness wears off, unless they are dirty or clog.

What the Cadet does is flush, and it does it well. I've never had one clog yet, and believe me, they have been put to the test by grandkids. They stay clean if I'm a few days late with routine cleaning, and we haven't had a "racing stripe" in them yet.

We bought the elongated comfort height, and I really like them. If you aren't into designer looks more than function, and can still find one that uses 3 gallons, I highly recommend it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here