Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lstryer

Shampoos and Soap in Marble shower

lstryer
10 years ago

We have installed our marble shower and its beautiful. Before I spend money on organic shampoos and soaps (very expensive), can anyone advise me if standard soaps and shampoos are OK? I am thinking of soaps like Dove and Irish spring which have ingredients I cannot repeat, but no acid.

Comments (11)

• lstryer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your response. We did two baths and the showers are bianco venatino honed in one, and french vanilla polished in the other (just finished). Both are truly beautiful. Both have been sealed. We have been using organic shampoo/conditioner, and over the counter bar soaps (I will now switch to liquid). I have been cleaning with a mild dishwasher detergant and a granite/stone cleaner, soft sponge.

I realize I am being very cautious, but I really want these to stay as beautiful as now. Will post photos soon.

• piscesgirl
    10 years ago

I agree with srosen. Organic doesn't necessarily mean pH neutral. Just think what would happen if stuck a slice of lemon on a marble counter. For example, citric acid is a natural organic acid found in some personal care products. Actually organic soaps generally have a higher pH than non-organic.

Good luck finding the pH information on personal care products. I have learned that the vast majority don't state this sort of information so the only real way to know is by testing each product or requesting the information from the manufacturer. Some people have skin/hair issues that require they use certain products to maintain a healthy pH balance. Some have posted what they have learned about specific products online. I did find one with lots of haircare pH level information ( www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com).

As you will see most shampoos and conditioners are around pH neutural or just below. It will be harder to find pH neutral soap as I am pretty sure that "soap" is, by definition, alkaline. Agree with staying away from bar soap. Dove I believe is pH 7 since it technically isn't soap - that's why it's called a beauty bar and it doesn't say soap anywhere on the package.

As srosen stated - most likely an issues you have will be around etching, not staining (unless you wash out hair dye...which obviously I would not recommend).

Just be dilgent about cleaning the shower (best is to clean/wipe down after every shower) and you should be fine.

Congrats on the new marble shower. I am sure it looks stunning.

• selphydeg
    10 years ago

If you aren't sure, you can just buy some test strips.
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=TP-7056#.UakME5xAdEg

On the other hand red cabbage juice works just like pH paper.
    http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryhowtoguide/ht/makephpaper.htm

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

ev2012 I am sure they are as beautiful as they sound.
    Its ok to be cautious.
    While we don't always recommend sealing in a shower stall I don't think It does any harm. Most sealers today are breathable so if a stone does get wet from behind it will be able to dry out or release the moisture thru its surface.
    I wouldn't put that much credence into sealers.
    I think dishwasher detergents need rinsing and can leave buildup and film on stone.
    I should have said ph neutral no rinse type of cleaners.
    Most well known brands of stone cleaners are just that.
    Best of luck with your new shower.

• Cheryl Wilson
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just a couple days ago I noticed that our bottle of Irish Spring dumped over in our new marble shower...

I rinsed it out fairly quickly but noticed darkening of the marble and grout. I sat it back on the granite ledge where it lives (looks a lot like the marble floor) and it leaked onto that as well. Now I have stains on the floor and ledge. Any suggestions on removing those stains?

• Katie Snyder
    2 years ago

Interested in what prior comment or or anyone else reading views as a “mild soap” to clean with? I was told to use mild dish soap but after an hour in the soap aisle I left confused as they all seem to contain citric acid, degreaser, or moisturizers

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    2 years ago

Yeah-too many soaps for sure in the soap aisle-Soaps leave a residue on stone that builds up and attracts soils. Use a neutral PH cleaner that evaporates quick enough to not leave streaks but strong enough to clean the surface. We recommend MB Stonecare products for all our clients-MB has a full line of Stonecare products. There are other products on the market as well-

• Katie Snyder
    2 years ago

Thank you

• Helen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I also use MB Stonecare for my marble shower. I have marble floors and counter. I don't keep any cleaning products in the house that might be damaging to my surfaces. I believe that MB is multifunctional and can be used for mirrors. I also use a non-acidic toilet bowl cleaner - for the safety of my floors and also as recommended by Toto for their finish.

I use liquid soap in the shower. Not a big deal for me because I have used liquid soap for years even prior to remodeling and getting marble. Who wants to clean out gloopy soap holders when you can use liquid soap?

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

MB-5 Stone Care Granite and Marble Cleaning Spray For routine use cleaning marble, granite, quartz, travertine, and all other natural stone surfaces. Sprayer included.

Also an excellent porcelain and ceramic tile cleaner.

Great for mirrors and windows too! Many think it's better than Windex, but won't harm acid-sensitive stones like Windex does.

1 Qt. - $15.99 + shipping (varies by supplier and quantity)

Suppliers: mbstonecare.com

countertopspecialty.com

Majestic SCP Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Safe Toilet Bowl Cleaner for Marble & Travertine

Toilet bowl cleaner safe for use around marble, travertine and limestone floors and walls. While other toilet bowl cleaners will etch and damage marble when spilled or splashed on floors or walls (a common marble maintenance issue), this non-acidic formula is the best toilet bowl cleaner for safe use in marble bathrooms.

1 Qt. - $19.99 + shipping

Suppliers: countertopspecialty.com

StonecareCentral.com. (can order by the case)

Take the 2 minutes after shower use and wipe down:

Stainless Steel Squeegee

MB-SQ $16.99

Supplier: mbstonecare.com

Microfiber Cleaning Cloths

14.2 x 14.2” VibraWipe

Available on Amazon

Use ventilation always and leave on for 15 -30 minutes after shower. Leave shower doors or curtain open when not in use.