Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower floor tile question

Posted by Aztec123 (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 21:08

This is our first time renovating a house. We are building two bathrooms from scratch. Our contractor put us in touch with his "tile and fixture guy" a while back and we spent 3+ hours choosing, mixing and matching tile for each bathroom, vanities, fixtures, etc. We chose a marble basket weave for one bath floor, and a black and white octagon / "soccer ball" pattern for the kids bath floor. Towards the end of the grueling session, we asked about tile for the floor of the shower (we had assumed we would have a different tile in the shower floor than the rest of the bathroom), and he said something along the lines of "you've picked a small enough tile, I would just use the same tile in the shower floor". We were pretty beat at that point and just went with it.

Long story short, several weeks have passed, the tile guy was super-slow in actually ordering the fixtures and vanities we decided on. The whole project has slipped due to his casual disregard of what was the laid out timeline. So we are quite unhappy with the tile guy. Today was the first day we saw some of the tile that has been installed, and we HATE how it looks with the same tile on the shower floor as the rest of the bathroom (otherwise we are fine with it). I will post a few pictures. I honestly can't tell if this actually looks terrible, or if I am channeling my dissatisfaction with the overall performance. Any thoughts - does this look bad? If I wanted to throw down and ask to have the shower tile removed and something else put in - is that even an option at this point?

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower floor tile question

No, it doesn't look bad at all! Keep in mind that you have NOTHING else in the BR at the moment and you are being hyper-critical. Once you have sills, trim, fixtures, vanities in there it will all come together.

From what I can see, it looks like a really NICE tile job!

o

That looks awesome!

I would really like to have the same tile on the floor of the shower as the rest of the bathroom. Unfortunately, I'm drawn to very large format tiles for the floor, and they won't work for the shower.

So I'm kind of jealous. :)

o

The trend lately has been to use large format tiles on the bathroom floor, so people will usually pick a smaller coordinating tile for the shower, so you might have gotten used to that look. Plenty of people do the smaller tiles throughout too. It looks nice and well done.

I'm remodeling and picked a really large tile for the bathroom floor and in the shower I went with the same tile and color, but in a 2" x 2" size.

o

Stop obsessing - it looks great, and once the toilet, tub etc are in it won't look so " all one thing".

o

It looks great to me. Once the bathroom is finished and decorated (rugs, etc) you will be so very happy that the floor is uniform. Nice job!

-Babka

o

I like I, especially the basketweave. When mixing sizes,typically you want smaller tile in the shower than the rest of the bath for safety purposes, not the other way around. Having it all the same keeps it consistent which will be lovely when it's all done.

o

Looks great to me!

o

I like it! It will look even better once you have you shower wall tiles and shower doors in.

o

I like it. I think when it's all done you will, too. A friend who is a designer usually suggest using the same tile throughout, though if a large format is used in the main floor she likes the look of the same tile but in a smaller format. Don't worry too much. It really looks good!

o

That looks really really beautiful to me!

o

Thanks very much for all the feedback! I'm back to being calm about all this. Really think I was channeling frustration with the overall project. I'm sure this will all turn out just fine - it can just be frustrating at times....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here