Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frosting a window for privacy

Posted by cloudbase (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 21:01

So, we have a bathroom window that looks out on to the neighboring condos' bedroom windows. It's a square window with the four pane internal divider, so I was thinking maybe just frosting the bottom two "panes" instead of the whole thing. What's the best way to achieve a frosted finish? There a good peel'n'stick product? The only thing I've found is a Rustoleum rattle can product, but that seems dubious. Help please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frosting a window for privacy

http://www.homedecorators.com/Home_Decor/Window_Film/Window_Film/

If you google window film you'll get alot of good suggestions. I've used rice paper before and will use it again in my MB window.

o

I’m trying to envision it and I don’t think that it would look good (though maybe if I saw it for myself, I’d change my mind)
Anyway, I got my Oz home windows done by professionals. It’s way better than having to do it yourself with peel-n-stick products.

o

I used a cling film called Solyx. I am very happy with it. You use a bit of water to appy. Not glued in place. I bought a very plan slightly textured frosted film.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solyx Film for Windows

o

You can also take the window to a window place and they can do it professionally. I had a door done.

o

I've used dozens of frost products and some are better than others. The Solyx looks good. Professional sandblast is best yet permanent. The 'rattle can' is the worst in my experience as it does not like to be around much moisture, (it changes with water splash and cannot be cleaned easily)...A housekeeper once tried to clean my bath entry door and made a mess of it. Solyx will send samples so you could actually see how it will work before committing. Also avoid the mirrored films. They only work with daylight.
The rice paper is actually really nice. And you don't need to purchase an entire roll.
I've not used this exact brand but most can be doubled up if not enough privacy is achieved with one layer.
Check Amazon for different options and maybe post back before you order if still unsure.

Here is a link that might be useful: rice paper film

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here