Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
granite on vanity - hard to keep clean?

Posted by mboston (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 20:46

I am thinking about getting granite as my master bathroom countertop. I love my kitchen granite - light butterfly jade. Its not too bad to keep up , just the water marks around the fixtures.

However, I am concerned with the bathroom since my DH and I both use hairspray. I have to clean my laminate with a bathroom cleaner then use Windex to make it feel smooth and look shiny. I wonder if that would be too hard to keep clean in the bathroom. I probably would choose a light color granite, maybe something with a coral in it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: granite on vanity - hard to keep clean?

Not a problem at all..My W uses a hairspray and i have no problem with cleaning the granite..

o

No issue with my Costa Esmeralda.

o

Not a problem with my Giallo Ornamentale. I mostly clean with a 50/50 mixture of water/alcohol and microfiber cloth. Every now and then I use a granite polish. I get hairspray overspray too. It wipes right off. If you're getting a temporary discoloration around your faucets in the kitchen, your granite isn't sealed properly or not sealed at all. If you choose a light color for the bathroom, you'll want to be sure to get it and keep it sealed.
Monica

o

Its not a discoloration on my kitchen granite, its more of a hard water build up. I use the steel wool that is like really soft (0000_) and it removes it.

The overspray is from an aerosal can not the pump type. I wonder if that makes a difference. I know we shouldn't use aerosal cans but DH doesn't like the pump type.

Qdwag - love your comment that YOU don't have any problems cleaning the granite. So you do the cleaning? I think that's great!

o

Don't know if it makes a difference either but my hairspray is an aerosol can as well.
Monica

o

No problems with Crema Bordeaux.

o

I have Black Galaxy in the kitchen and wouldn't do it in the bath. I clean the kitchen daily anyway, and it's very visible and very worthwhile to keep clean because I love seeing it.

I don't (sorry!) clean the bath counters daily. Spots would show build up and show.

I have a busy granite in the powder room and have no spots whatsoever to worry about, no hairspray problem either. I'm just bought another busy remnant for the master bath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here