Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hate to ask...but can you refinish cultured marble?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Wed, May 6, 09 at 20:32

I know you who are building dream baths are not on this particular humble plane (LOL!), butcan it be done?

Were getting a townhouse unit ready to put on the market. Budget is already blown on new carpeting throughout, painting, and other repairs. The cultured marble in one bath is worn in the sink and one spot next to it, and crazed a bit in the sink. I thought of replacing it but aside from the budgetary constraints, the carpenter who looked at it said removing the faucet to put in a new top would be a bad idea, due to non-standard plumbing issues he found. He has experience in this development and said a "quick" replacement in someone elses unit turned into big money really fast. My husband (who installed all our faucets) took a look under there too and said he would run screaming from that job.

The cabinet is sound, as is the existing faucet.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hate to ask...but can you refinish cultured marble?

Yes, a dull top can be refinished.

Cultured marble is a mixture of polyester and limestone dust. A gel coat is applied over that, and it's the gel coat that gives the shine.

Refinishing that is similar to buffing out the finish on a car. You can use an automobile finishing compound and a wool pad on a buffer.

Do be careful that you don't burn through the existing gel coat. Apply the compound, let it haze, then buff it off. Never let the wool pad sit stationary on the top.

o

If the sinks are really bad I have heard of people cutting out the sink portion and putting in a drop in porcelain sink.

o

You can buy a new top for around $100-$150 at one of the box stores, depending on size. Go that route. It's far easier and cheaper.

o

I bought a three step plastic polishing kit from some place. It did a wonderful job on the cultured marble sink and the plastic bathtub. I'll look for it some more. It's starting to come back to me.

o
polish

I think it was this stuff, but the bottles are a different shape. I'll try to remember to check tonight.

It sounds like my sink was in a lot better shape than yours, so I don't know how much it will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plastic polish

o

Thanks for the replies! I should have been more specific: its not a matter of buffing out surface scratches or small defects. The surface is worn off completely in the bowl and there are a network of tiny cracks around the drain.

The top is 5 feet long so it would cost more than that. And its not the cost of the top that stopping usor the cost of purchasing a faucet; its the concern over the headache of the old and non-standard plumbing that I mentioned.

o

Terriks posted a good idea. Have someone cut out the bad bowl and drop a porcelain sink in and hook it up.

o

What's non-standard about the plumbing? Not standard threads or sizes for the connections?

o

Consider taking a photo of your undersink plumbing and posting it in the plumbing forum. The experts there may have some creative work-around ideas.

o

Last time I was in HD, they had a plain white 60" single bowl vanity top for around $160. They had a beige granite one with bowl for $199, which would be great for resale value.

It's super simple to replace. If your vanity doesn't have shutoff valves, just turn off the house water and install them. It's very easily DIYed. If it does have shut off valves, just shut them off, disconnect the flex supply lines, use a utility knife to score between the vanity and top, and lift the whole thing off there. Remove the faucet and install it on the new top, lay a bead of silicone and drop the new top down. Let cure for a hour or two and reconnect the supply lines.

Simple.

o

live wire: don't forget the drain line. That may be what's problematic in the plumbing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here