Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wall mounted lavatory faucet: popup drain?

Posted by ineffablespace (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 19:46

One of my bathrooms is going to be extremely small and it may make sense to do a wall-mounted faucet.

With the exception of the deck mounted Kohler Triton faucet, purpose-built for a couple of their sinks, I've not seen a wall mount faucet with any kind of mechanism for the drain.

Actually, Dornbracht makes a counter mounted drain popup in vanity sink size, but I wasn't looking to do Dornbracht faucets.

How is the drain handled in vanity sinks with wall mounted faucets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wall mounted lavatory faucet: popup drain?

Would you use one of those drains that you push to close and push to open. Sometimes I've seen them with fancy decorations on them, like a frog, or seashell.

o

Plumbing stores have click-clack drains to fit any size drain. Push it down to close, then push it again to open. We have one and I LOVE it.

-Babka

o

Just saw this video on a drain that might suit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zero Drain video

o

If there is no requirement to be able to fill the sink, which is often the case in small, secondary bathrooms, consider a grid drain. No mechanism to clog or worry about.

o

I may just do the grid, but sometimes it is nice to be able to fill the sink. That zero drain looks interesting, too.

This may seem weird but I grew up in a house that had a deck mounted pop up mechanism for the Kitchen sink drains, so you never had to reach down into dirty water to undo the drain. This has made me a little squeamish about reaching down into "used" water to open the drain, and then I end up washing my hands again once the drain is open. Irrational, and a waste of water, I guess.

o

Another vote for the 'click-clack' type of drain. Bonus is it seems to seal the drain much better and more reliably than the pop-up kind.

o

I was squeamish about the click clack drain too. But stop and think for a minute. Why are you filling the sink in the first place? Aren't your hands already IN the water? Most likely it is soapy water...you push the drain to open and the run your hands under the faucet to rinse them.

All the pop-up ones I've had over the years wouldn't seal well enough to soak something for 5 minutes.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here