Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onelady1dog2girls

You vote: Mirrors in front of large picture window or to the side

onelady1dog2girls
11 years ago

Hello, everyone. We have a new picture window that is in front of our vanity in our remodeled master bathroom. I love it, as it creates an outdoor sanctuary for my husband and I to enjoy as we enter the bathroom. I originally planned on a contemporary 16 x 36' mirror hung by a bar into the ceiling joists with pendants flanking the left and right...loosely (very loosely please excuse the angled mock up, it was just to give you an idea) seen here:

However, I didn't anticipate loving the window as much as I do. So, I investigated a second option involving the pendants only flanking the outside of the window. The mirrors would by 15 x 23 and swing out from the walls...again loosely depicted here:

I could really argue both ways. The first is somewhat more conventional, but obviously is obstructing the view somewhat. The other does not obstruct the view, but you have a bit more 'fussiness' in swiveling the mirror out of the wall to you.

What do you think?? I'll put a link to the mirrors below. Any thoughts appreciated.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Swing out mirror

Comments (9)

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

oooooo! First, I have to confess, I have view-envy! I can understand your reluctance to cover it up. I too can see the pros and cons of either way but here are my main thoughts...

#1 Although some of the view is missing, there still appears to be a pretty large area in the center. I think that the view would make an amazing "frame" around your mirrors. I'm also really into symmetry and balance so that appeals to me on this option.

#2 Obviously, you'd enjoy even more of the beautiful view and it doesn't trouble me to have window directly above the sinks instead of a mirror. A pivoting mirror is interesting and if it were large enough and stable enough, it would seem fine to me. What might be an issue, in my opinion, is the single light on one side of the mirror. I think that would either not be enough light or at least would cause some unwanted shadows. I can't tell exactly where the light would hang in relation to the mirror when it is pivoted out into a usable position.

Overall, I'd probably lean toward #1. I think you'll see much of the view and your mind will sort of "fill in the blanks" of what you don't see.

What a lovely dilemma to have! Either way, it will be gorgeous and I hope you will continue to post pictures for the rest of us to enjoy.

I'm currently searching for pendant lights for our guest bath reno so if you'd care to share what you've chosen, I'd love to see them.

Good luck!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I LOVE the unobstructed window and think the mirrors on the side are an unusual but perfect solution. The view of the forest is calming and makes me say, "Ah" but with the lights and mirrors hanging in front of it, I want to just sweep them out of the way..so it makes me feel annoyed that they are there! Kind of like when my bangs are hanging in my eyes...get them outta there :) Don't cover that window!

• youngdeb
    11 years ago

Oh, I like #2 much better! Keep the pendants a bit higher so they won't interfere with the mirrors, though. What a lovely place to brush your teeth every morning!! I'm more relaxed just looking at it.

• astridh
    11 years ago

I would do the #2 with a long light bar or two light bars above the window instead of pendants. It wouldn't bother me to have to swing the mirrors, and your view is spectacular.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

Both options would be lovely... I guess you have to consider whether doing makeup or shaving is going to be an issue with the side mirror/lighting.

If the layout won't cause a practical issue, my personal preference would be to leave the window unobstructed. The view is wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Bath Renovation

• cloudbase
    11 years ago

See if you can get one-way glass framed up and hung instead of a traditional mirror. Then you'll either have to strongly light the front of the mirror when using it in daylight or perhaps have a pull-down backing to cover up the back side when using it as a mirror (one way glass acts as glass to the darker side and mirror to the brighter side).

Could be crazy, but could also be crazy-awesome.

• tina_ma
    11 years ago

I see there are 5 additional openings in the ceiling about the vanity ... If those are for downlights, then I think there's no reason to be concerned about not enough task light if choosing option #2 - which I would so choose if I had your amazing view!

• onelady1dog2girls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just want to thank all of you for your insights and suggestions. It looks like hands down we will be using the swivel mirror set up. I can't wait until this purgatory known as remodeling is over soon!!

• Geneva Milligan
    3 years ago

Where did you find your swing out mirrors? I have the same problem.