Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfgang80_gw

Kohler Bellwether vs. Mirabelle Edenton

wolfgang80
11 years ago

We are looking for a sub $800 60x30 alcove tub and have, for now, narrowed it down to the Kohler Bellwether (cast iron) and the Mirabelle Edenton (acrylic). Pricing is similar. The tub will function as both a bathtub for future kids and shower in a small bathroom in a small house. I've seen an Edenton drop-in in person but not the apron front that we'd be getting. I have only seen pictures of the Bellwether. From pictures, wife and I like the Edenton's lines better as the Bellwether has some rounded edges that don't appeal to us as much, at least in pictures. I prefer cast iron. Wife says that acrylic holds heat better. Which would you choose? Is there a quality difference?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (28)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Sorry, posted too soon. I meant to say that if you do a search using the search box at the bottom of this page, you'll find a few other threads about the bellwether.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Updated version of Bellweather is a standard size and drain configuration. The original Bellweather has a 11 or 12" distance from wall, or tile flange, to the drain center. This required a long tub spout to reach. The new "standard" version has 8.5" distance which is comparable to the Villager and Memoirs. So they straightened the front it sounds like. I don't know about the back slope. I talked to the Kohler company today and they said this new model just came out this year.

• enduring
    11 years ago

The new Bellwether model number is k-837, and it comes in all the colors that the original comes in :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update, enduring. I'll have to take another look--I liked that tub but not the fat front before.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Writersblock, I liked it too because of the simple lines, but not that wacky sloped front. I am now planning to get this updated version instead of the Memoirs. I always liked the size of the Villager but not the chevron on the side nor the shape of the bowl. I am quite happy that I found out about this Bellwether update. I have a small bath that I am just starting the remodel.

• LE
    11 years ago

I think that although cast iron "holds" heat better, it also sucks up the heat from the first hot water that goes into it. So it depends on how much hot water you have available, how much the tub takes, and how long you like to soak. I have an acrylic tub and it stays hot longer than I can stay in it!

• sserra85
    11 years ago

I just installed the bellweather about 2 months ago. I absolutely hate it! I would much rather have had the villager for almost half the price. The bellweather feels so tiny and forced me to get a cable drain when I wanted and ordered the slotted gerber drain. Uhhhh... I cannot express how much I really hate this tub. I would never replace it for acrylic, but there are much better options out there for a cast iron tub!!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I have the Edenton, but in an air bath. If you'd like to see pictures, use the link below. It's nice and has far larger interior dimensions that other tubs in its class (at least those that are air baths), and it doesn't have a hideous apron like most.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edenton in remodel

• enduring
    11 years ago

Twn85, is your Bellwether the old style k-876, or the new model k-836. Kohler states this new model "is now available in a popular, industry-standard size". I think the issues I've heard complained about have been solved. So I am curious as to which model you have. The dimension of the k-836 is 60"x30", while the interior is very long, 48-3/4" x 19-5/16", (it's not as deep as the original Bellwether though). I am thinking that they got the length because there is less ledge in the front and back, and the front is now perpendicular to the bottom. This is longer than the Memoirs & Villager at 45". The old Bellwether k-867 is only 41-1/4" long:(

New model 837 with views of the front and the back:
    {{gwi:1390851}}
    {{gwi:1438964}}

Old model 867:
    {{gwi:1438965}}

This new Bellwether has the same exterior dimensions as my 40's or 50's era Kohler cast iron tub. And the price for this in white can be found for $455.12 at Faucet Direct. Shipping $160. I haven't compared pricing yet.

• sserra85
    11 years ago

I'm assuming I got the old one. It really is terrible. I ordered it back in december. This is the only aspect of my reno that I did not research and that I really regret.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Twn85, can you find out for me which one you have? :)

You could measure the bottom lengths. The old one is 41-1/4 inches in the bottom length. The new one is (they say) 48-3/4inches long at the bottom.

I would love it if you could check for me, cause I am really considering getting the new model in the next few days.

• wolfgang80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate all of the discussion. Kevin--do you have any higher resolution pics showing a head on view of the apron?

• sserra85
    11 years ago

Enduring.... the bottom inside of mine measures 42.5 in length.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Thanks for taking the measurement Twn85, sounds like you have the original model. I think the Bellwether is very nice looking but I can see that the original is an inconvenient bathing size.

I will almost certainly get the revised Bellwether. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• GreenDog194
    11 years ago

We are opting for the Edenton because:

(1) it is 22 inches deep -- 8 inches deeper than the Kohler.
    (2) it does not have the sandpaper bottom slip resistant stuff that can't be cleaned that the Kohler has stuck to the bottom.

• JoAnne Nyitrai
    11 years ago

In my remodel I also want to use the Edenton. I love the squareness of it. My only reservation is the height climbing in and out. I will have the tub/shower combo 60x30 alcove. I plan to have grab bars. Do you think I will regret this in 20 yrs? We are 61. This is our only full bath.
    Hydro System Sydney looks just like it. More $.
    any opinions??

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I have a couple additional pictures that may help, but I took them with my phone, I think, so the quality is pretty poor.

{{gwi:1427959}}

{{gwi:1427958}}

I was thinking about Hydrosystems, too (the Lacey), but I just couldn't justify the price given that I wouldn't use the tub that often and the amount I was spending on the rest of the finishes I would actually be using on a daily basis.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I bought the NEW Bellwether yesterday and it should be delivered in a week or so. I ordered it on line. I got simple white. The tub is a bit on the shorter side at 14" with water depth at 9". Otherwise 60"x30.24". But the tub is over 48" long inside. Longer than all the other 60" Kolher tub specs that I've seen. And as wide as my current tub which has been fine for 60+ years. Great height for kids, me, and getting dogs in and out of. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Grab bars going in on the walls with this remodel too. No shower.

• wolfgang80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Enduring--Please post your impressions and pictures when you have it installed. Congratulations on your purchase.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I will be sure to do that. It will be several months before the BR is complete. Good luck on yours. It will be beautiful. I think KevinMP's bath is quite nice looking.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Wolfgang80, have you chosen a tub yet? I am looking forward to your project pictures.

• wolfgang80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We're leaning heavily toward the Bellwether. We have a couple more big projects (floors and walls for the entire house) to complete before the bathtub gets purchased / goes in.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Well, I just might have mine in before you get to yours. Then you can see the results before committing.

• need4speednj
    11 years ago

I just stumbled onto this thread a bit late. I just ordered and had it delivered same day (Mirabelle Edenton) My contractor needed it today. Lowes and HD only had standard oval tubs. I wanted something white with square lines which are more contemporary. I stumbled upon the bellweather and my supplier had it in stock along with the edenton. I felt the Edenton had slightly nicer lines and it's a much deeper tub. If an adult or child decides to soak, it will be more functional. It arrived, looks ok, but the white is more dull than the ones in this picture. could be the lighting. I'll post a pic once installed.

• EmekaPatrick
    11 years ago

Used this thread to help guide my decisions for purchasing the tubs for a renovation I'm currently working on. Have small bathrooms in an old NY brownstone and I wanted to find some nice tubs that would fit in a 30 X 60 space. Going to install Bellwethers in a couple bathrooms and a Mirabelle Edenton in my bathroom, all as combination shower / tub. The first two should be in on Tuesday. Will send pictures of the installation as it comes together if anyone's interested.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Here is my Bellwether. It is the new version that came out this year as mentioned above I believe. It is 30x60 and very plain. I like the plain-ness. The plumber installed for me. As soon as it was set in place he stepped in and said "this is good for safety, the sides don't slope". Meaning that if the sides angled to the bottom, people would step on the slope potentially, and slide on into the tub - dangerously. I don't know what tub might be designed like that but good info to know.

Anyway here is my tub, but you can't see it very well. But its in, and its about time I got around to this. As you can see I'm busy putting in tile too:
    {{gwi:1438966}}

• belasea
    11 years ago

I'm curious if anyone else is having problems with the quality of the Mirabelle Edenton tub? I have seen some negative posts regarding their quality.