Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Design help for bath built-ins

weedyacres
10 years ago

We're rehabbing a small, old house with a tiny (5x7) bathroom. Here's the current floor plan. We are swapping the sink and toilet.

I want to build some storage into the wall across from the toilet. Basic idea is like a cabinet recessed into the wall, which backs into a (future) closet in the adjacent bedroom. I've allocated a rough opening 22" wide x 44" tall, startng about 6" away from the tub so it is out of the way of potential water splashing. Here's the wall, with the new stud showing roughly the RH border and the cut out stud showing the top.

I'd like some recommendations on a couple design questions.
1. Drawers vs. door: Methinks drawers will be handier, especially since it's waist-down storage. But will lots of handles (probably 4) protruding into the small space be a problem?
2. Depth: The front of the drywall to the front of the closet wall gives me 5 1/4" of "free" space. How much further should I protrude into the closet behind? It'll only be about a 6-7' wide closet as it is. 10" takes up about half the closet depth, and gives 15" depth for drawers/shelves. Sufficient? Better more or less?
3. Door/drawer front design: I'm thinking if I frame the front of the carcase and then put a door on top of that, plus the knobs, it'll poke out too far into the room. So I'm thinking I need to go with inset drawers, which I have not attempted before, and I worry about my ability to make everything fit together perfectly. Any thoughts or tips on that front?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (6)