Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Design help for bath built-ins

Posted by weedyacres (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 19:11

We're rehabbing a small, old house with a tiny (5x7) bathroom. Here's the current floor plan. We are swapping the sink and toilet.
 photo Fullfloorplan_zps4ac51cc8.jpg

I want to build some storage into the wall across from the toilet. Basic idea is like a cabinet recessed into the wall, which backs into a (future) closet in the adjacent bedroom. I've allocated a rough opening 22" wide x 44" tall, startng about 6" away from the tub so it is out of the way of potential water splashing. Here's the wall, with the new stud showing roughly the RH border and the cut out stud showing the top.
 photo 101_2556_zps30cfb316.jpg

I'd like some recommendations on a couple design questions.
1. Drawers vs. door: Methinks drawers will be handier, especially since it's waist-down storage. But will lots of handles (probably 4) protruding into the small space be a problem?
2. Depth: The front of the drywall to the front of the closet wall gives me 5 1/4" of "free" space. How much further should I protrude into the closet behind? It'll only be about a 6-7' wide closet as it is. 10" takes up about half the closet depth, and gives 15" depth for drawers/shelves. Sufficient? Better more or less?
3. Door/drawer front design: I'm thinking if I frame the front of the carcase and then put a door on top of that, plus the knobs, it'll poke out too far into the room. So I'm thinking I need to go with inset drawers, which I have not attempted before, and I worry about my ability to make everything fit together perfectly. Any thoughts or tips on that front?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design help for bath built-ins

Hi Weedy,

Are you sure your closet is only 20" deep? To hang clothes you need at least 24" deep. Will your hangers be going sideways?

Anyhow, I assume you are giving up hanging anything on the lower portion, will have a high bar in the closet for shirts/etc. And you'll use the shortened lower part for shelves for shoes or something?

If you could squeeze a few more inches out of your drawer space in the bathroom, I think I would. You can always use those little metal handles that fit over the top of the drawer. I tried to google it, but couldn't find what I'm thinking of...this came up though, another solution to protuding handles.

Here is a link that might be useful: flat drawers with finger pulls

o

raehelen: The closet's not built yet, so it'll be full depth. I was just rounding off numbers, given that I still have the back of the cabinet to consider. The bath storage cabinet would be very roughly in the center of the closet, so I could have some full-length storage to one side and then double rods on the other. I was thinking about building a short shoe cubby to go on the front of the bath storage cabinet to fully utilize that space.

o

bump...any other thoughts/feedback?

o

I would prefer drawers too, but can't you "notch" the drawers (with a router) for a "pull" without having knobs/pulls that stick out?

That said, as this will be directly across from the toilet, it wouldn't be difficult to just sit on the toilet lid to "bend over"/get to the level I needed to see into shelves at that height. And, frankly, shelves are a lot easier to adjust/accomodate depth.

o

I guess another option would be a single door with pull-out shelves. Perhaps that gives the best of both worlds.

o

I would prefer drawers unless you want to store tall items like a toilet bowl brush or plunger. You could use recessed pulls so that nothing sticks out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here