Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2348_gw

Porcelain Calacatta

jackson2348
9 years ago

Hi all, this is ungrouted porcelain Calacatta tile in our master shower. I pored over all the porcelain look-a-likes when I was deciding, so I wanted to give you all a pic.

This is Cote de Este exedra. I believe it's the same manufacturer as the artistic exedra, at least there was no discernable difference in the samples. I'll update with a finished pic, and a floor pic that will be the same tile.

It fooled several people at the slab yard where I was trying to find a quartz for tops until they picked it up and realized it was porcelain.

Comments (48)

• enduring
    9 years ago

That looks terrific. Are you installing it yourself, it looks very well laid. Keep us posted please.

• chispa
    9 years ago

What is the size of the tile? Is the wall tile glossy? Will the floor tile be matte and what size?

Your picture is making me second guess my shower. I also picked a marble-porcelain, but also have a glass tile accent ... I'm hoping it won't be too busy now. It is paid and was special order, so no going back now!

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Enduring, this is in new construction, so we have a tile company doing all the installation. It's interesting that the owner is laying each wall out in full on the BR floor to try to make the veins line up, then transferring tiles to the wall.

Chispa, these are 18" square. Same tile for the floor and wall, both matte. I was specifically looking for a bold calacatta look. You have beautiful taste, I'm sure your combo will be stunning.

• enduring
    9 years ago

What color grout will you be using. I just got done with a shower in a porcelain calacatta look alike. Different tile, from Atlas Concorde. I tried several grout colors and mixtures on a sample board and went with a blend of 3 parts Bright White and 1 part Sterling Silver in the Laticrete epoxy grout. I mixed the powders in that ratio. I wanted a grout that would mix with the background color of the tiles. I got a very good match. The Sterling Silver is a warmer gray but it is too dark. The white brought it in line with what I wanted. I even mixed the caulk in a ziplock bag to get a match with the grout :) Used it like a frosting/decorating bag, cutting the corner out ever so slightly. It worked well too. I am a DIY so my standards are lower than a pro. I have lippage galore, much to my dismay. In hindsight I think a darker grout would have disguised the shadow lines that the lippage creates. I used 12x24 tiles and it was hard work. I would recommend 12x12 or smaller for DIY women. I am calling my tile job "rustic contemporary". But it is beautiful all the same.

Your shower will be fabulous!

• enduring
    9 years ago

Thank you for your complements :) I will be keeping an eye on your projects. It all sounds great.

I love working with meticulous craftsmen and women. My carpenter was like that. Thank goodness I had him while I could, before he went to work for his parents as a project manager in their kitchen and bath design/cabinet business.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Jackson, it sounds like you hit the lottery as far as tile installers go! My tile is going to be 24x24. Wish I had shopped around some more, your tiles might have given me some more options. In any case, it will look so much better than what we have now!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

That tile looks gorgeous! I love the way the veins are continuous in the installation - nice job!.

Would you happen to know how many different photo images there are of this particular tile?

Also, did you buy it online? I looked as their dealer network and could only find dealers in Italy.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jerzeegirl, I did get it online. Link below, although the pic on that website looks nothing like my tile. Without the name, I wouldn't have ordered a sample. I loved one I saw here (hobokenkitchens maybe?) that used the Artistic exedra, and got a sample, but it was about triple my budget. I googled around with the name and found the retailer below. Ordered 1 tile, then a box to check a few together, then my whole order. I believe it's the same tile, and Artistic rebrands it. I don't know how many different tiles there are, but haven't found a duplicate yet. It's pretty realistic.

I'm attaching a pic with a calacatta slab, the tile background is a little creamier, but it's pretty close.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelain tile

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I like it that none are alike. I was told that is something to look for in good porcelain marble. Thanks for the link - I really like the tile very much and have to decide in the next few weeks whether to do the faux marble or the faux concrete.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Jackson2348, the shower looks great. I posted my daughters porcelain Carrara bath remodel recently. Both hers and yours look very realistic with nice flowing lines. There is quite a bit of difference though in the overall feel of the space regarding warmth vs coolness. My daughter and her husband wanted the cool feel.
    I am taking the liberty of posting a couple of her pics on your thread so others can see the difference in in one posting rather than searching all over.
    My daughter used 12x24 on the walls and 24x24 on the floor. Both in matte finish.
    Can't wait to see your final reveal.

• polly929
    9 years ago

Badgergal, can you share where your daughter got her tiles from?

I'm in the research stages of a bathroom remodel, I like the large 24x24 floor tiles.
    Thanks.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Polly, the tiles are Daltile Florentine Carrara. The Florentine series also comes in three other styles. The Florentine Carrara was not available at the big box stores. The 24x24s are a matte finish which is best for floors. The matte finish is also available in 12x12 and 12x24 and the 2"x4" brick joint mosaic. They have a glossy finish in 12x24 and 10x14. They also have bull nose trim in either finish. My daughter used the matte on her walls too.
    We bought the tiles at a local flooring store for $3.19 a square ft. The online places we looked at were more expensive, so be sure look at tile or flooring stores in your area. The professional tiler we used really liked the tiles and said they were very good quality. Here is a little closer up picture of the 24x24s

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Badgergal, I missed your 1st message. I looked at the daltile and the American olean mirasol too. I think they're all very nice tiles, just different looks. I love the softer look of your daughters tile, and how it all came together so beautifully!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

BadgerGal, I can get to Michigan and I'm going to Indiana this summer. Any chance your store is located in one of those places? Or can you say the name of it? I love that bathroom.

Jackson, your bathroom looks gorgeous so far, but too expensive for me! LOL I can't wait to see the finished room.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Thanks Jackson. Your tile is fabulous too.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit but I want to respond to MGMum.
    So MGMum. The store I got my tile from is called Floor Quest. They have a couple locations but they all are in Wisconsin. Daltile is sold in many retail locations. They have a retail store locator tab on their website. I briefly checked a 50 mile radius from Detroit and from Indianapolis. Lots of stores popped up. They may even have some near your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile store locator

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

It looks great! I like how the veining is all lined up perfectly. Porcelain tiles sometimes seem too busy for my tastes but I think it's because the tiles are often arranged with the veining in different directions.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Thanks BadgerGal. After your initial reveal I had made notes of where the Daltile places were the closest to me.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: floor going in.

He spent all day yesterday laying it out on the bedroom floor to ensure good flow. I'm very pleased with how it looks so far. The rest of the puzzle waiting to be installed:

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

You tile guy is doing a fabulous job. I just love it.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Jackson, it's beautiful!! This bathroom is going to be a stunner!

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks y'all! I'm really happy with both the tile and tile guy extraordinaire.

• jrueter
    9 years ago

I love your tile! What are you using for the shower floor?

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jrueter thanks! there's a 2" matching mosaic on the floor. Attaching the worlds worst pic, but you'll get the idea.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Reveal photos? More progress pics? :)

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Another pic from our tub surround. 12x24s from Lowes.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Looks good Musicgal!

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love your tile musicgal. We looked at that too, but wanted more veining.

MGMum, no finished pics yet because we're not finished. Had some countertop issues, which are being resolved, and hope to be through with the tile part on this bath this week. I'll post pics when they get everything done!

Teaser pic of some of the hardware installed.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Looking good Jackson! I hope your countertop issues are resolved soon. What's that little knob between the niche and the upper handle?

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MGMum, thanks! the knob is where the hand shower hose connects. The bar for it is leaning in the corner.

• cdpettiette
    9 years ago

Thi sis beautiful! We are starting a new construction in a few weeks and this is exactly the look I love but I know the real deal is out of my budget. Thanks fr the awesome ideas and sources!

• tonyab122
    9 years ago

jackson2348 - I've seen some tile that looks pixelated and has a grainy surface, how does this look? Can you post a close up of one? I can't believe how much variety there is between all the tiles! I don't see repetition at all.

Can't wait to see the final reveal!

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here you go, tony. No pixelation or grainy look. My discounted price for the artistic brand from our local tile store was $28/ft. Ouch! But it does look high end. Was glad to find it for less.

The bullnose isn't great, just the white porcelain showing. But I was happy enough with the rest of the tile that I rolled with it.

• tonyab122
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the picture, I ordered a sample tonight. Can't wait to see your finished bath.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty much finished pics. Still some cleaning and touch ups needed here and there. We used an epoxy grout, so hopefully it'll stay white. I'm thrilled with this bathroom, and can't wait to move in!!!

• tonyab122
    9 years ago

I've been waiting for the final reveal! It's so polished and pulled together; a beautiful combination. What color did you go with for the cabinets and counters?

My sample was sitting on my island when my uncle came to visit. His first questions was, "Which room is getting marble?" It's not perfect, but it's the best marble-look porcelain I've seen.

• enduring
    9 years ago

DANG, that is beautiful!!! You hit the jackpot with that tile setter. This is one terrific bathroom. Thank you so much for sharing your project. Congratulations :)

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Wow! It's amazing! The cabinet paint changes colour in the light, eh? Sometimes looks a darker gray and others more blue?

I like the view out the front window, too. ;)

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments! The cabinets are BM Sag Harbor Gray. They do change in the light, I love that about them. The countertops, tub deck, and bench in the shower are all Silestone Altair. It's a pretty quiet mid gray. There were lots of quartz choices that would have been good; I chose this because it came in jumbo slabs which I needed to get the backsplashes.

This is the rug and fabrics for the bedroom. I'm having roman shades made for the bathroom from the gray and ivory print.

• piscesgirl
    9 years ago

Wow - Looks stunning. Can I ask what cabinetry brand this is? Were they built by a custom cabinet maker? Also what did you use for the countertops? Quartz? Color?

Really great job. Can't wait to see the pictures of the finished results.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks firsthome. The cabinets were site built and painted. The quartz is Silestone Altair.

My favorite part of the whole room. I take a bath every night of my life.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Is that the Kohler Margaux? I nearly got that line, but then fell for a faucet by Waterdecor, which I had to have.

It all came out great, you must be so pleased!

• thisishishouse
    9 years ago

Here's ours. It's Anatolia Calacatta HD porcelain tile. The shower hasn't been done yet, but we're using a full mix of sizes:12x24, 2x2, subways, and bullnose for our shower and tub surround.

I don't have much exposure to real calacatta, but I'm impressed in the detail and variation in some of these high-def porcelains now. It's really impossible to find any repeat/pattern and realize it's porcelain.

Hopefully add shower pix in a few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anatolia porcelain calacatta

• nancyaustin
    9 years ago

oicu, where is the Anatolia porcelain calacatta sold in the US? It's made in Canada & the website doesn't appear to show retail locations. Thanks.

• thisishishouse
    9 years ago

nancyaustin I found it at a local tile specialty shop. I'd recommend hitting their "contact" link and sending an email asking for a retailer in your area.

• nancyaustin
    9 years ago

Will do! The tile is lovely!

• musicgal
    9 years ago

jackson and oicu- loving the look of your porcelain. Very authentic look without the upkeep of marble. I posted this on another thread, but here is our tub and shower surround. We wanted a tile with less veining as this abuts a highly textured slate floor.

• thisishishouse
    9 years ago

Our shower is finally done, using the same porcelain calacatta tile as seen on our tub deck earlier. We're really happy with the results. It's hard to notice any repeat and looks like real marble.