Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Door Swing in and Out?

Posted by ocdmom (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 19:04

I am installing a frameless shower enclosure 85"h (ceiling is 96"). Should I have the shower door swing both inward and out? My neighbor suggested inward for ventilation. Someone said swinging inward will have leaks b/c of the missing vinyl piece. Anyone have experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Door Swing in and Out?

It should swing out. My husband, installs them. You could have a leak if installed, to swing in. Hope this helps.

o

Thank you for your response. Just curious, would there be leaks if the door were to swing both ways--in and out? Why would there be a leak if installed to swing in and not when it swings out?

o

All heavy glass shower doors should only swing out in order to seal properly -- Depending on the gap between door and glass panel and the wall, you may need a clear plastic seal, which adheres to the glass door, on either side or both.

P.S. Most heavy glass enclosures are NOT 100% leak prof...

o

Our glass door swings both in and out. Our glass guy said that most of those he installs do not use a plastic strip as that gets gunked up. He suggested installing it without a strip and he would come back in put it in if we wanted. It has truly not been a problem with leaks. There is a 1/4" gap between the door and panels. Maybe a drop or two of water gets out, but you'll have many more drips from just opening the door to the outside or stepping out of the shower. That said, I suppose that it also depends on where the shower head sprays in relation to door.
We like having the option of it swinging each way. I do leave the door swung inward after a shower with the fan on to vent.
Just another viewpoint - hope this helps.

o

BTW, code I believe requires that the door swing out (although it can presumably also swing in). Concern is that if someone is injured and you can only open in, you can't actually open the door if they're collapsed in a heap.

o

Ours swings both ways - I love it - no leaks - been over a year now.

o

Another vote for door swinging both ways. I swing out, to step out of shower, and swing in to let shower dry. No leaks, unless the hand-held shower is aimed directly at bottom of door, between the very small space between glass door and the tile step-up.....or at the opening of the door. I can easily live with that.

o

It seems as though folks are happy with the option of having door swing both ways, good to hear.
shar-az, your earlier post, "heavy glass enclosures are not 100% leak proof." Are you referring to the door itself or the entire glass enclosure? I am using Schicker 1/2" glass and 3/8" door. I have a double head Grohe Freehander showerhead. There is a 1/4" gap from door hinge to the wall without any seal. I don't know if they will be install a vinyl seal in when they return next week to clean up. I suppose this is where the water leak problems come to play?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here