Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocdmom_gw

Shower Door Swing in and Out?

ocdmom
15 years ago

I am installing a frameless shower enclosure 85"h (ceiling is 96"). Should I have the shower door swing both inward and out? My neighbor suggested inward for ventilation. Someone said swinging inward will have leaks b/c of the missing vinyl piece. Anyone have experience with this?

Comments (25)

• Sharon kilber
    15 years ago

It should swing out. My husband, installs them. You could have a leak if installed, to swing in. Hope this helps.

• ocdmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your response. Just curious, would there be leaks if the door were to swing both ways--in and out? Why would there be a leak if installed to swing in and not when it swings out?

• Sharon kilber
    15 years ago

All heavy glass shower doors should only swing out in order to seal properly -- Depending on the gap between door and glass panel and the wall, you may need a clear plastic seal, which adheres to the glass door, on either side or both.

P.S. Most heavy glass enclosures are NOT 100% leak prof...

• heimert
    15 years ago

BTW, code I believe requires that the door swing out (although it can presumably also swing in). Concern is that if someone is injured and you can only open in, you can't actually open the door if they're collapsed in a heap.

• pkirkha1
    15 years ago

Ours swings both ways - I love it - no leaks - been over a year now.

• beth4
    15 years ago

Another vote for door swinging both ways. I swing out, to step out of shower, and swing in to let shower dry. No leaks, unless the hand-held shower is aimed directly at bottom of door, between the very small space between glass door and the tile step-up.....or at the opening of the door. I can easily live with that.

• ocdmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It seems as though folks are happy with the option of having door swing both ways, good to hear.
    shar-az, your earlier post, "heavy glass enclosures are not 100% leak proof." Are you referring to the door itself or the entire glass enclosure? I am using Schicker 1/2" glass and 3/8" door. I have a double head Grohe Freehander showerhead. There is a 1/4" gap from door hinge to the wall without any seal. I don't know if they will be install a vinyl seal in when they return next week to clean up. I suppose this is where the water leak problems come to play?

• PRO
    CBH Architects
    7 years ago

By International Building Code, (Plumbing section - P208.1) the shower door must be able to swing out. The code doesn't specify that swinging both ways is a problem from a safety perspective (as long as the swing out is satisfied).

• millworkman
    7 years ago

This is from 2008, not sure why you chose to dig this up.

• PRO
    CBH Architects
    7 years ago

I was doing a google search on other shower questions and this popped up - didn't see the initial 2008 date...arghh

• millworkman
    7 years ago

No worries, just curious is all. We have spammers stop by uninvited every so often. But you have numerous posts so that is likely a moot point.

• amanda99999
    7 years ago

Where I live code requires it to swing out (in case you fall in the shower and need assistance I guess?). But I don't like the drip so will have one installed that swings in and out (and intend to only swing it in towards the shower). HTH.

• Peggy Davis
    6 years ago

I am staying in a house and I pushed the glass door in instead of pulling it out and now it's not pulling out! What to do?

• Jim Mat
    6 years ago

Peggy,

there may be a latch on the door, that latch may be designed to work in only one way. Take a look and report back

• Peggy Davis
    6 years ago

It was the seal...when I pushed it in the seal went the wrong way and kept it from easily pulling door out.....

• P Dan
    5 years ago

My shower door was swinging out but it leaves drips and wet my floor, which I don't want. I made changes by moving the glass panels around and now my door opens inward. I'm not a builder or contractor so why talking about code? what code?

• Helen
    5 years ago

P Dan - Not sure of what you are saying. The reason why people are interested in Code for this issue is personal safety. If your door ONLY swings inwards, it presents a safety issue and even if Code didn't require it, it would be prudent to have a shower door that swings out.

If it swings both ways, there is no safety issue since emergency workers would have access.

Some Code requirements like this one are more than just red tape which frustrate a project - although the thread is old, perhaps someone reading will realize there is a real functional purpose for a door swinging out and not just an arbitrary decision made by a bureaucrat in the permit office :-)

• AJCN
    5 years ago

We installed the shower door to swing inward and outward. After showering, while fan is running we leave the door pushed in, and the transom window tilted, so that any drips go onto shower floor instead of bathroom floor. Floors are existing hard woods, so this was important to us. The only drawback the installer told us, which we were fine with, is that we won't get as tight of a seal for steam. The installer did a good job with the measuring and the seals because it stops at the curb perfectly; we'd have to continue pushing on the door to make it keep going to open outward. We almost never open it outward though; only if cleaning and want the door out of the way. We like it this way; easy reach-in to turn water on is a plus.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    5 years ago

As long as the curb has a very slight tilt inward....the door can go either way. Out is best for the reasons allready mentioned.

• HU-913169263
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We just bought a walk in tub, it only swings in, with no room, we are not happy ,w/ the door ,it should swing out , I can’t even use ours, have bad knees !! Can the be fixed to swing out?

• annedavis1962
    2 years ago

I am looking for a door that swings in and out; who makes it and what is the model?

• annedavis1962
    2 years ago

I am looking for a door that swings in and out; may I ask who makes it and what is the model?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Custom from a Local Glass Shop.

• AJCN
    2 years ago

Try a local custom glass company. Our installer said he just doesn't put the stops in the hinges. Make sure they measure carefully bc presumably your curb is slightly tilted towards the shower floor. You don't want the door to be sized to clear only the lower part of the curb; it has to clear the slightly higher side also in order to open outward.