Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbongo

lighting around surface mounted medicine cabinet

cbongo
9 years ago

I am finally remodeling my tiny (4x9) master bathroom. I have made all decisions except for the lighting in the vanity area. I have purchased a surface mounted Kohler mirrored medicine cabinet that is 20 inches wide and 30 inches tall and it is 4.75 inches deep. The medicine cabinet will be mounted over a 24 inch wide vanity (image attached).

After much research, I know that I want LED lighting with a CRI of at least 90. I am having great difficulty in finding a light fixture that extends out farther than my vanity, that is modern, bright enough, and affordable. I have found a couple sconces that I really like (Elemental dwelLed 13 inch bath light), but they only extend out 3 inches from the wall (medicine cabinet extends 4.75 inches). Is there a way that I can have these installed without having the medicine cabinet block the light? Will the distance from the medicine cabinet help? How far?

I have other options if I want lighting over the top of the medicine cabinet, but I still run into the issue of finding something that will extend out further from the medicine cabinet. Again, will the distance help?

If I have a 20 inch wide medicine cabinet, would it be bad to have a 22 inch wide light fixture (Elemental dwelLed 22 inch bath light) over it?

Clearly I need help in this area.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Comments (5)