Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

One panel or two panel shower door?

janesylvia
10 years ago

I have a very small bathroom with stall shower. The shower door opening is only 33" wide.

If I use one panel, the shower door edge will touch toilet when opened wide.

The glass contractor suggested two panels, with 8" fixed panel, and 23" swiveled panel. (as shown below). When the swiveled panel is opened wide, it would not touch the toilet. He said a shower door of 33" is two big.

I have some concern on the two panel configuration:
1) Will it look good for a small stall shower opening of only 33"?
2) Will water be splashed out through the vertical gap? Shower head is on the right side and is 72.5" above the curb.
3)Is shower door of 33" wide too big as said by the glass contractor?

I plan to get 3/8" frameless shower door.

Thank you very much.

Comments (13)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

When you use a frameless shower the best is really to put the door to the wall so it does not wobble. Yes 33" is probably to large as well, 28" or 30" is about the widest you would want, narrower if you HAVE to hang it off the panel. Most companies use a clear vinyl hard L pr similar to stop the water from leaking out at the door.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for your helpful information, millworkman.

When I visited the shop, the glass contractor said he would not recommend using the vertical clear vinyl strip at the door since it would become yellow and unsightly over time and also make the door opened only one direction instead of two directions.

Without vertical clear vinyl strip at the door, would it be a concern that water splashes out through the gap between the two panels?

Thank you very much.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Well if the gap is set small enough it probably would not splash out. However to have the door double act or swing both ways the gap is generally set a little further and will definitely be more prone to leaking as the you also cannot use a dam strip if necessary on the bottom. As far as yellowing yes maybe slightly after about 10 years it may look a little yellow or have mildew but it is a $10.00 strip held on with clear silicone and honestly will look fine for years.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Millworkman, what do you mean when you say

When you use a frameless shower the best is really to put the door to the wall so it does not wobble.

are you meaning the hing end or the handle end next to the wall? I am interested in this subject as I prepare to order a shower door for my 48" opening to my Kohler shower pan.

• cmcg21
    10 years ago

Janesylvia, I have a bathroom with a corner shower unit that (in a small space), and when installed, I opted for a door that swung both ways. This was done 5 years ago, and it turns out that the door leaks through the vertical gap, although not a ton.
    When I recently remodeled my master bath, I had the glass installer (a different company from the other bathroom), install a vertical strip on my corner shower unit, making the door open only out. This seal has stopped all leakage of water. In my limited eperience, it seems the vertical gasket or seal is much more likely to keep your shower from leaking. It was a little frustrating to always have a towel over the bathroom rug to absorb leaking water from the shower. (in addition to concerns over continual dampness on the floor)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

enduring, it is better to hinge the door to the wall especially on 100% frame-less. If you want to hinge it off of a panel you can still go basically frame-less but we recommend a header to stop the door and panel from wobbling. Now you can hinge the door off a panel without a header but I would definitely use a 1/2" panel and a 3/8" door and we make people aware and have them sign off on the fact that they know it will probably wobble.

This post was edited by millworkman on Sat, May 4, 13 at 10:06

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Janesylvia, I have the configuration you're talking about, (but with another fixed panel on the other side). We went with framed glass, it is 1/4". This is our basement/guest bath, and I just couldn't justify the cost of frameless. Do have to say though, I love the sturdiness and non-floppiness of this arrangement. In five years have never had a drop of water leak onto the floor.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Millworkman, This sounds substantial. Thanks for the information :)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

You may even email me if you want to chat more in-depth.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hey Raehelen, what size is that shower pan? That does look like a very practical door.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Millworkman, Cmcg21, and Raehelen, thank you so much for your help.

The installer suggested the door installed without vertical strip but with bottom strip, so that the door can be opened inward after shower to prevent water on the inside curb from going out when the door is opened outward after shower. He said my curb is level and not slanted inward so it might be better to have door being opened inward after shower. Without vertical strip, it can also be opened outward when I go into the shower, which is more convenient. But I am afraid the water would splash through the gap, especially for such a small stall shower.

Really appreciate your help.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Enduring,

The shower pan is 3' X 4'. Glass on 2 sides, cultured marble on 2 sides.

JaneSylvia,

On one of your threads you mentioned wanting the door to swing inside to avoid leaks after you had showered. Mine swings out, but the part that the water drains out is in the shower area (there is a stopper on the outward part). So, actually, I think you want a door that swings out to avoid drips on your BR floor.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks Raehelen :)

Best of luck with your door Janesylvia, be sure to show us your finished project.