Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Bench AGAIN - Now worried about mold

Posted by winesnob (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 18:56

Okay, finally the day has come - cutting tile and about to tile the shower. I have been trying to decide on the shower bench. When you enter my shower the bench will be right in front of you and then you turn to go into shower. I was thinking of an 18" high and about 30" long for bench. What are you thoughts. Also I just read that shower benches should be made out of concrete blocks, not wood, which end up causing mold in the long haul....Grout cracks and water seeps in to wood. Now I am trying to call my GC, no way do I want mold anywhere. Any advice. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Bench AGAIN - Now worried about mold

It is true that water will penetrate grout. Tile is also not waterproof. That is why you need to use waterproofing of some sort in the whole shower, not just the bench. You can use plastic behind the substrate (cement backer board or mud, but never green drywall). Or you can use something on top of the substrate, such as a membrane like kerdi or a liquid like hydroban. If you use kerdi, you can use regular drywall instead of backer board.

o
RE: Shower Bench AGAIN - Now worried about mold

We did our shower surround in corian and made the bench out of corian to match...open underneath with a waterproof light that shines out from under the bench for ambient lighting while steaming. Had to create a frame for the corian as by itself it is not structural. Corian matches the corian sink and counters we used in the bath...Egyptian copper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here