Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Leaking shower stall

Posted by tsgrimes (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 18:43

I have re-chalked shower and this still exists. It feels wet and damp after my daughter showers. What did I do wrong?n the leaking started first - then I let air dry and re-chalked. Dried for 24 hours and still this. Can someone help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Leaking shower stall

What are we looking at? Is this the drywall butting the shower?

o

It's a finished wall. :(

o

It's like the water is coming from the crack but I've caulked it and it feels dry. It's happening on this side too.

o

Might it be as simple as splash from the shower via an ill-fitting door or curtain (can't tell which)? I had that and remedied it temporarily with a line of baseboard tile going up a foot or so.

Or might it be the tile on the other side of that tile jamb needing grout and this is from continued seeping? Again, pics.

Or perhaps water running there from an innocuous place?

OK, that last one was a wild guess. Really.

o

Caulking the outside of the shower won't help. Your problem is coming from inside the shower, and if you re-caulked that already and still have the problem, then perhaps you have a leaky pipe inside the walls? All that damaged sheetrock will have to come out so you can peek inside the wall.

-Babka

o

Here is another pic

o

Other side - inside shower

o

I might have also guessed a leaky pipe, except you have it on both sides... To me, that rules that out.

Clearly, you aren't getting a seal somewhere. Can you SEE it happening as someone is showering? Is it that fast? If so, perhaps you can figure out where the water is coming from then.

o

I'm thinking about taking the door off. Re-caulk. Dry. Put door back on. What does everyone think?

o

I think you need to open the door and stand back about 5 feet and take a picture so it shows the whole shower. It is really hard to see the setup from these close ups. Can you get the whole shower in a shot?

o

My 30 year old master shower was doing that very same thing and the sheetrock was wet in the very same place as yours. We had to have to entire shower replaced. When the old tile was removed, it was discovered that the tile was on sheetrock with no waterproofing membrane at all. No amount of caulk in the world could have prevented the water from seeping out of that shower. It was positively porous!

o

tsgrimes:

You really need to give a very detailed description of your pictures. They may seem obvious to you, but they aren't to viewers. Something like "View from standing in shower corner facing the door which is on the left…."

It may be moot anyway. Tap on the tile and I'll bet you get a hollow sound especially in the areas near the leaks. I'm fairly sure you've got jerzeegirl's problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here